Photo Cells,can Polarity Be Reveced? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2009, 01:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

photo cells,can polarity be reveced?

I need a twelve volt cell that would be activated by bright light similar to a flash bulb and funtion day or night. does such a thing exist? were might i look.

Advertisement

Last edited by detox; 11-14-2009 at 02:16 AM. Reason: spelling
detox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Well there are plenty of 12V DC solar panels.

Your title says "polarity reversed"??? I don't know what you mean by that?

And then you say 12 volts. Why 12 volts? What do you intend for this to power? A solar panel may produce 12 volts, but you may not have enough "wattage" to power a specific 12 volt device.

And then you say day or night. I'm guessing that when a light flashes, you want the solar panel to create 12 volts and then power something and do this during the day or night?

If the solar panel is receiving light from another source like daylight, it will be producing 12 volts. You could place a tube around it to shield it from other light sources...

Anyway if you can be specific about exactly what you want to do, that would be helpful...

Advertisement

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:21 PM   #3

sorry still learning the ropes

Last edited by detox; 11-14-2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: posted in wrong area
Old 11-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Bob View Post
Well there are plenty of 12V DC solar panels.

Your title says "polarity reversed"??? I don't know what you mean by that?

And then you say 12 volts. Why 12 volts? What do you intend for this to power? A solar panel may produce 12 volts, but you may not have enough "wattage" to power a specific 12 volt device.

And then you say day or night. I'm guessing that when a light flashes, you want the solar panel to create 12 volts and then power something and do this during the day or night?

If the solar panel is receiving light from another source like daylight, it will be producing 12 volts. You could place a tube around it to shield it from other light sources...

Anyway if you can be specific about exactly what you want to do, that would be helpful...

re photo cells polarity reversed:poor choice of words
I'm trying to acquire info without giving to much away;this might be difficult sorry for being so vague. I need to know if theirs a sensor or cell similar to that of which senses and sends a temp. reading to let u know what outside temp. is while driving ur car only in this case it would send or allow power to an actuator (12 volt) to deploy at the instant this device was to undergo a sudden and intense lighting change such as, possibly a flashbulb see were im going with this?? ummmmm?
Old 11-14-2009, 02:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

CdS cells may have a fast-enough response time for this. Otherwise use photodiodes.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

I believe it is current model Cadillacs that have auto dimming headlights. They use sensor to detect the oncoming car headlights and that signal is used to switch the Caddy headlights to dim. You might chase down what model uses that and check out their wiring diagram to see what Cadillac used.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:52 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 264

Well, I think I know where you are going... It hard to beat the speed of light but good luck and if I know where you are going with this forget the solar cell - way to slow to react. You need to look into a photo sensor like what is used in photography to fire a second flash...

Again, good luck.

Rege
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Ok, that is enough info to go on...

Basically there are electronic sensors. Things which detect what is going on in the outside world. Usually these "sensors" are quite "weak" and will not power any sort of device directly...

Then there is electronics. Electronic circuitry can "amplify" a weak signal so the output will then be able to power and operate a device.

Then there are mechanical devices. Mechanical devices take "time" to operate. So if there was a flash of light, then electronic circuitry activated a mechanical device, it would take a long "relative" time for the device to move. There could be many more "flashes" by the time the mechanical device did what it should from the first flash!

So the question is, must this "actuator" react instantly to the flash?

8 milliseconds = standard camera shutter speed.

1 second = 1000 milliseconds
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:25 PM   #9

Thank you to all who responded, your input was appreciated.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:30 PM   #10
nap
You talking to me?

if this is what I think it is (a means to defeat a red light camera) I suggest you check into the legality of the thing before you proceed any further. Additionally, I do not believe a reactive flash will result in the blinding of the camera. Your system (if this is what you are building) would not react nearly fast enough to be able to flash back at the camera in time to blind it.

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote