Phone Wiring Through Wall To NID? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Phone wiring through wall to NID?

This may not technically be electrical, but wasn't sure where would be better to post, so here goes.

I have a legacy Verizon phone network interface box on the outside of my house. There are several phone jacks in the house - some are disconnected, some are not. There are lots of phone lines running everywhere, many abandoned in place during renovations, and about 5 lines were shoved through a bricked over crawlspace access, mortared in, and run along the house foundation to to the box. These lines have been weedwhacked and hit with a lawn mower repeatedly.

I don't use a landline service, but I don't want to tear the system out entirely in case we or a future owner wants a landline system. In this house there are two jacks that make sense to keep. I plan to clear out all of the old wire I can get my hands on that runs to the box and start fresh and run new wire for these two jacks.

My questions -
  • It doesn't seem to be rocket science to do this, but since I never have worked with a phone system, can anyone give me a lead to connect these jacks properly? This is going to involve a lot of low-crawling in my crawlspace so I'd like to head off the rookie stupids so I don't have to do it again.
  • The other thing is, how do I properly route the wires to the network interface box? The box is about 4 ft above the ground on the side of the house. I can run the wires in the underfloor crawlspace to that area, but what is the right way to get them to the box?

In the end I want two useable jacks that are neatly installed and wired.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Last edited by Thunder Chicken; 10-04-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

As a retired telephone guy, I could sit down and write up a page of instructions, however this would be like re-inventing the wheel!

I found a page that covers this much better than I ever could!

Here's the link! http://www.wire-your-phones.com/

Advertisement

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wildie For This Useful Post:
Thunder Chicken (10-07-2012)
Old 10-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #3

Wildie - thanks for the link. I will have to get my wife to help me with the colors - I am red/green colorblind and can't see the difference in those colors on the screen. I think a star arrangement with two separate lines to the NID will be fine. I'll do CAT5.

I was planning to run the wires from the jacks in the lower crawlspace, and run them up through the sill into the wall and into the back of the box. I think there is some wire run this way and so I can use the old wire to pull the new wire through. Any special hardware/precautions I should use while doing this, or is it pretty much just pull it through, staple it in place, and connect it up?
Old 10-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Chicken View Post
Wildie - thanks for the link. I will have to get my wife to help me with the colors - I am red/green colorblind and can't see the difference in those colors on the screen. I think a star arrangement with two separate lines to the NID will be fine. I'll do CAT5.

I was planning to run the wires from the jacks in the lower crawlspace, and run them up through the sill into the wall and into the back of the box. I think there is some wire run this way and so I can use the old wire to pull the new wire through. Any special hardware/precautions I should use while doing this, or is it pretty much just pull it through, staple it in place, and connect it up?
Its hard to screw up telephone wiring. You should be good! Usually its water that affects phone lines, so make sure that everything remains dry!

Cat5 isn't really necessary, even for DSL. However, you could always use spare conductors for a wired network.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
transmitterrecieverpntgun

Rewards Points: 75

Something to consider also is that in the event of a power failure or some sort of natural disaster, you may find that your twisted pair service provider (phone company) may be up and running before power is restored to the cell towers and before your center conductor type service provider (cable company) restore service. It is smart to keep a non electric old school corded phone plugged into a working jack. Most of the time, you can still dial 911 from a landline. Any other number will connect you with customer service to offer you a rate plan. Twisted pair technology uses battery. All others require electricity including amp stations for the cable company. Just food for thought...

Last edited by utilitylocator; 10-07-2012 at 10:46 PM. Reason: spelling
utilitylocator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Chicken View Post
This may not technically be electrical, but wasn't sure where would be better to post, so here goes.

I have a legacy Verizon phone network interface box on the outside of my house. There are several phone jacks in the house - some are disconnected, some are not. There are lots of phone lines running everywhere, many abandoned in place during renovations, and about 5 lines were shoved through a bricked over crawlspace access, mortared in, and run along the house foundation to to the box. These lines have been weedwhacked and hit with a lawn mower repeatedly.

I don't use a landline service, but I don't want to tear the system out entirely in case we or a future owner wants a landline system. In this house there are two jacks that make sense to keep. I plan to clear out all of the old wire I can get my hands on that runs to the box and start fresh and run new wire for these two jacks.

My questions -
  • It doesn't seem to be rocket science to do this, but since I never have worked with a phone system, can anyone give me a lead to connect these jacks properly? This is going to involve a lot of low-crawling in my crawlspace so I'd like to head off the rookie stupids so I don't have to do it again.
  • The other thing is, how do I properly route the wires to the network interface box? The box is about 4 ft above the ground on the side of the house. I can run the wires in the underfloor crawlspace to that area, but what is the right way to get them to the box?

In the end I want two useable jacks that are neatly installed and wired.

Thanks!
Thunder Chicken

Since your Landline isn't active see if you can open the verizon box with a flat head screw driver. Sometimes this is possible. Other times its not.

If you can open the box look to see what color pair the last techs used for the lines going into the house

It "sounds like" more than one tech/person has worked on / installed phone cabling in the house over the years so in more recent times a line sounds like it was pulled from the jack inside the house straight back to the demark. However, it also sounds like in older cases "possibly" the old phone wire was daisy chained from the demark to Jack 1 and from Jack 1 to Jack 2 and so on (I'm just taking a guess at this point based on what you wrote)

For a future home owner that "might" want a POTS (plain old telephone) land-line the phone company might very likely either have to or want to come out to the site although this isn't always the case....to check connections....check for noise in the line up to the demark and checking grounding that might have been damaged by a weed wacker

I would "consider" running the lines located on the exterior of the house in conduit from in-between the exit point of the brick to the demark. However, the demarks I've worked at don't always have a really great point of connection for the conduit. Also, if you do this make sure you install the conduit to prevent water from enter the conduit or your home.

If I am remembering correctly you wrote something about possibly using Cat6? If you can find it at the same cost as Cat5 then by all means go for it. In my opinion however, save the $ and stay with Cat5 or Cat5e (e=more twists per foot and therefore more signal noise immunity / faster data transmission rate for Home Computer Networks etc.

Here's more info on Cat5

"probably" the best standard is to use the blue / blue white pair for telephone dial tone and like the other person wrote, with Cat5/Cat6, you can use the Orange pair & Green Pair (properly connected/wired) for computer network.

Let me know if I can help.
Everet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #7

I don't think anything is daisy-chained - not anything that is still connected, anyway. I have a small bungalow and there are 4 lines that come from the bottom of the box through the concrete, and another that seems to go into the ground (yes, buried in the dirt, no idea why). There is one more that comes out of the box and goes almost directly through the wall to a jack on the interior. There are only three jacks exposed in the house, and there is tons of dead-headed wire in the crawlspace.

The wire runs are short - straight line from the box to each jack is about 5', 20', and 30' ft to each jack. 100' of cable should be plenty to complete the runs, even squaring corners and such. I'm willing to put any type of cable in as long as it makes sense and makes it easy for future users (perhaps me). We don't have DSL in our area right now, but someday there might.

My objective here is to simply un-FUBAR the system and get something sensible in. I don't have a means to check the connections but I figure if I do a separate line to each jack, finding any bad connections (assuming I do a bad job) will not involve crawling under the house. I'm trying to be a nice guy and doing the crawling so the next guy doesn't have to.

Last edited by Thunder Chicken; 10-12-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

DSL comes in over regular phone wire so no real need to worry over that. DSL is very much just like a regular old landline dial tone therefore if can use the older wires. Cat5 will "not" enhance DSL performance unless of course your old phone wires are in very very bad condition.

Any chance you can post a photograph of the wires entering the Verizon demark (and one of the wire going into the ground?
Everet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #9

I probably can get a shot in a few days. I haven't had the box open yet - too many projects and so little time. That pesky day job isn't helping, either.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #10

Here are some shots of the NID(s) and the wires on the outside of the house and how they are routed through the sill and the foundation masonry patches.

There is a coax cable that provides the current internet and phone (we don't have the phone service anymore but it was part of a cheap bundle, came through the cable).

Everything else is the old wiring system. It seems damned messy considering I can only count 4 jacks total in the house. One of the wires leading to the smaller NID to the right are dead headed, and I am pretty sure we're just seeing a lot of stuff abandoned in place. There is a wire that leaves the larger NID and just disappears into the ground (second picture).
Attached Thumbnails
Phone wiring through wall to NID?-phone-wiring-10232012-001.jpg   Phone wiring through wall to NID?-phone-wiring-10232012-005.jpg   Phone wiring through wall to NID?-phone-wiring-10232012-004.jpg  

Advertisement