Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2010, 06:15 PM   #1

Share |

Phone Lines

Anyone know if it is possible to use two different phone numbers on one telephone jack. I have a fax number and land line number. My fax number isnt long distance and i have to keep swithing the machine to the landline jack to send a fax long distance. I was wondering if i could take the fax cat5 feed and connect it to the landline jack yellow and black terminals?. Then use a dual jack to feed the fax machine and landline phone from the one oulet jack....? thanx!
jambud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #2

Phone Lines

Basically doable but need pictures of the jacks, it will need some modifications.The fax machine line cord is still going to connect to the red/green(white/blue)
daveb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #3

Phone Lines

An easier alternative would be to find a duplex jack adapter where each jack feeds from a different pair of the JKT(or CAT5)
daveb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Phone Lines

you can use 2 lines to 1 jack but you cannot put them on the same pairs (contacts).

you can put one pair on the center two (the typical line 1) and the second pair on the pins one either side of those 2 pins

if it is a 8p8c jack, line 1 would be pins 4 and 5 and line 2 would be pins 3 and 6.

4p4c jack line 1 is 2 and 3. line 2 is pins 1 and 4.

You cannot put both lines 1 and 2 on the same set of pins.

you can hook up the phone and the fax to the same phone line but that would mean you are sharing 1 number between the two uses.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:04 PM   #5

Phone Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambud View Post
Anyone know if it is possible to use two different phone numbers on one telephone jack. I have a fax number and land line number. My fax number isnt long distance and i have to keep swithing the machine to the landline jack to send a fax long distance. I was wondering if i could take the fax cat5 feed and connect it to the landline jack yellow and black terminals?. Then use a dual jack to feed the fax machine and landline phone from the one oulet jack....? thanx!
This is very commonly done! I've done this hundreds of times during my 25 years at the telco.
There's 2 ways of doing this! One would be to buy a dual jack and replace the present single jack!
The other would be to buy a dual jack adapter! There are 2 types of these! One type gives 2 appearances of the grn/red. The other has the grn/red on one jack and the y/blk on the other. this is the one that you will need!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote