||03-19-2005 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Borts
It's a brand new home so it wasn't used, it was just put up and is controlled by a light switch
The problem is if the wires are used for the switching or just tag off to another fixture. What we'll need to know is:
1. does the box have power to it all the time, or only when the switch is on. (you'll need a volt meter to test both sets of wires)
2. if not. where do the second set of wires go? I wouldn't heat them up if I didn't know where they went.
3. if there is power all the time, one set is the power and the other set is most likely the switch leg. You can verify this by checking for continuity between the black and the white and turning the switch on and off. (turn power off at breaker first)
4. If this is the case and you have power to the box and the other set goes to the switch, then tie the hot wire (black) to the white of the switch leg and then the remaining blk and white to those of the fixture.
5. if there is no power there unless the switch is on. test one set at a time and find out which set the switch feeds power to and only connect that set. unless you know where the other one goes to. (I'd cap them off with wire nuts.)
Good luck. It's hard to tell what the guy before you did or had in mind!