Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2010, 10:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Particle board and electrical Outlet HELP!!!

Dear Electrical Masters:

I have moved into a new apartment in which my bedroom walls are all particle board . Now I think I have figured out how to cover them with a cute fabric because he wont let me paint or wallpaper it. However, I'm worried about the electrical outlets and switches. I haven't gotten a close look at the outlets and have no idea what I'm doing, if there okay, if it will cause a fire because I have a lot of electronics etc...What should I do? What is my next step? How do I know that they are safe and secure? And is no secure how to I get them so? Is there anything else I should know or worry about with having particle board as walls? Unfortunately I have to live there, I don't have any other options so I have to make it work and there land lord isn't wavering. I don't know if the particle board is covering a regular Sheetrock (kinda covering something up) wall or if its just the particle board. I will have more info in a day or two. But if ANYBODY knowledgeable in this topic please contact me...the easiest way would be nikkigagnon@hotmail.com and sooner the better. I wonder how much it would cost a electrician to come out and check the situation? I wouldn't be able to check this forum often. Any info will help and be MUCH appreciated! I know there is a lot of questions and concerns in this post, but if anybody reads this and can help please read carefully and try to answer everything you can...

MUCH APPRECIATED,
Nikki Gagnon
Saco, Maine
nikkigagnon@hotmail.com

Last edited by NikkiGagnon; 01-17-2010 at 11:02 PM.
NikkiGagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
Inspector/Instructor

Rewards Points: 250

can you post pictures?

codeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

I should think you would want matching wall plates. Sort of like matching accessories for a new clothing outfit.

Here are some decorating ideas...

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:06 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

You can get an outlet tester (they're cheap) that will at least tell you if the outlets are grounded and not wired backwards. You can take the faceplates off to see if the boxes extend to the surface of the walls -- that is, that there's no exposed wood. You can find plenty pictures of both good and bad wiring, and compare what's inside the boxes to the pictures, or even better, just take a few pictures.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:37 AM   #5
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,188

The important thing is to make sure that the box extends out flush to the front of the board. If it does not you would need to use something like the Arlington BE-1 shown here. .

You also mentioned a landlord. You are probably not able to make any changes in a rental property to the electrical. Your landlord should be responsible to provide a safe place to live.
Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:28 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Are you just concerned of the walls being made of particle board - and therefore a fire or other hazard?

Or do you have a basis for thinking there is a problem with the electric? If so, address it with your landlord as such.

I am a landlord - I do not allow tenants to paint the walls, and surely they are not allowed to put up wall paper... But I do ensure all safety related items are correct.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Kinda of rude if you ask me, who would want walls made of particle board and not be able to paint it. If you have serious concerns about your electric you should address with landlord. If you were to alter it at all you could be held responsible if something would go wrong.
Paelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paelectrican View Post
Kinda of rude if you ask me, who would want walls made of particle board and not be able to paint it. If you have serious concerns about your electric you should address with landlord. If you were to alter it at all you could be held responsible if something would go wrong.
I was assuming it was painted, and the OP wanted to repaint. Agreed, if not painted it should be - by the landlord. And you are so right, a tenant should not be altering any electric.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:52 PM   #9

uhoh.. guess i gotta put that stuff back

tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, help!, particle board