Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2007, 08:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Part of circuit out

I own an apartment building that is 105 years old. One of the breakers popped ;we reset it, but I believe 3 apartments have no electric to half of the units. I put power on what I believe is the end of the run on the 3rd floor and all of the dead outlets and lghts will run. I have an electrician who tested all the breakers and they were good . The electrician then asked me to change all the outlets in these apartments which I did except for a few good ones. I also pulled some of the lights and don't see anything. He recommends putting a new breaker on this run and not worrying about it. A friend says I need to find where the problem occured. Any advice???

schill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:24 PM   #2
Union Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Part of circuit out

I'm getting mixed messages here. He says all your breakers are fine but replace one and forget it. Your electrician has you change the receptacles? What is he doing? Also, why is one circuit feeding more than one apartment? Or am I reading it wrong?

goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:20 PM   #3
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,048

Part of circuit out

Quote:
I put power on what I believe is the end of the run on the 3rd floor and all of the dead outlets and lights will run.
Are you saying you backfed a circuit from the end of the run?? Exactly what did you do...give more detail.

Quote:
I have an electrician who tested all the breakers and they were good . The electrician then asked me to change all the outlets in these apartments which I did except for a few good ones.
I don't think Goose or I understand why you did this or why you would be asked to do that.
Quote:
He recommends putting a new breaker on this run and not worrying about it.
Bad advice unless you can break and isolate the existing circuit so your not sharing a neutral.

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:26 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Part of circuit out

tell ya the truth i am little mixed with this also but really it took me by suprised why the electrician did not bother to check it more deeper on this matter.

i am supecting you have a open netural or hot somewhere but it will be found but it will take time.

i dont know what the exsting condtion you have at your place so you may have K&T or older style of MWBC etc etc,,

but one thing it kinda turn me off a little i am sure few other may agree with me [ i am electrician btw ] why he describe and tell ya to change the repectales.

it kinda bother me i feel he is not doing a good searching on this matter.

Merci, Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:23 PM   #5

Part of circuit out

THE ELECTRICIAN WANTS TO ADD A NEW BREAKER TO THE PART OF THE CIRCUIT THAT IS OUT. i AM CONCERNED AND WANT TO FIND WHERE THE BREAK IS
Old 11-08-2007, 08:29 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,106

Part of circuit out

Quote:
Originally Posted by schill View Post
THE ELECTRICIAN WANTS TO ADD A NEW BREAKER TO THE PART OF THE CIRCUIT THAT IS OUT. i AM CONCERNED AND WANT TO FIND WHERE THE BREAK IS
I think you need to find a new electrician!!!
I'm sure that a new breaker will backfeed the circuit and make it very dangerous.
You need to find out why the breaker tripped, and find the problem with the outlets not working.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:35 PM   #7

Part of circuit out

tHE ELECTRICIAN USUALLY ONLY DOES SERVICE UPGRADES AND HE DID ONE IN THIS BUILDING ABOUT 12 YEARS AGO.hE CAME OVER BECAUSE WE THOUGHT IT WAS A CIRCUIT BREAKER THAT WAS BAD AND THAT THE 3RD FLOOR CIRCUIT PANEL MIGHT NEED REPLACING. HIS ADVICE WAS TO CHECK THE OULETS AND REPLACE THEM TO HOPEFULLY FIND THE BREAK. I ALSO THOUGHT OF ISOLATING THE CIRCUIT AND THEN RUNNING A NEW BREAKER ,BUTWHAT TECHNIQUE DO YOU USE TO FIND THE PROBLEM??
Old 11-08-2007, 08:47 PM   #8

Part of circuit out

wHAT PROCEDURE DOES AN ELECTRICIAN USE TO FIND THE PROBLEM.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:55 PM   #9

Part of circuit out

How Much Time Does It Usually Take To Find A problem Like This??
Old 11-08-2007, 11:37 PM   #10
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Part of circuit out

We will like to help you but one thing please do not "SHOUT" [ use the upper case letters ] in the forum in here the upper case letter sound like you are yelling at us.

Anyway let get back to this topic for a min

how long to find this troublesome connection ?? hard to say somecase it will take few minutes to find it and some case like a full day depending on how the wires were ran and what else who know it been hook up over the years.

you may have to find a electrician that have the toner that device will able track the wires where it goes and should able find a open splice somewhere along the run but only one weak link with the toners is they dont work too well with the BX cables

Merci, Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:10 PM   #11

Part of circuit out

I had the same problem last year. Most of my den downstairs was out, but the breaker was on. I replaced all of the affected switches and outlets (only 6 total) and still nothing. It turned out there was another outlet upstairs on the same circuit. My wife remembered hearing a pop and burning smell weeks earlier behind the piano, but forgot to tell me. I pulled that outlet and sure enough the black wire was loose and charred without the the breaker tripping. This outlet was was used during the holidays for our Christmas village. My guess is when we removed the plugs to put away the set it jarred the outlet wire loose. I replaced the outlet and everything worked. In between all this I contacted my fire department to make sure nothing dangerous was going on behind the walls. They brought in their infared camera to check for heat sources behind the walls and gave the all clear. At least I was able to sleep at night until the problem was found and fixed.

DIYLI is offline   Reply With Quote