Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2010, 05:42 AM   #1
Weekend Warrior

Share |

Panel to Water Pipe Bond

There is no room to easily add a lug to land the neutral conductor for a subpanel in my 1985-vintage GE TM2020 200A main panel. My plan is to move the water pipe bonding conductor from a neutral lug over to the stacked neutral/ground bar. The ground bar will accept up to a 6AWG conductor and the existing bonding conductor is AL and bigger than 6AWG (guessing it is 4AWG AL). I would replace the 5' long conductor with insulated solid 6AWG CU.

Any issues with this plan? The wire I am referring to is circled in the attached image.
Attached Thumbnails
Panel to Water Pipe Bond-mini-pic-003.jpg  

H2O Engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:50 AM   #2
Master Electrician

Panel to Water Pipe Bond

The waterpipe grounding electrode conductor should remain on the neutral buss. I would suggest adding an equipment grounding bar, relocate many of the euipment grounding conductor to it, thus freeing up enough room on the neutral buss. I've been using GE panels for a long time and those terminals on the neutral buss should accept up tp #4 conductors.

Last edited by brric; 04-05-2010 at 07:30 AM.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:11 AM   #3
Licensed electrician

Panel to Water Pipe Bond

For a 200 amp service the conductor to the water line should be #4 CU or #2 AL. No. 6 CU would be too small. NEC Table 250.66.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:47 AM   #4
Weekend Warrior

Panel to Water Pipe Bond

A GE TGL8 ground kit will be added to the right of the main breaker and several grounds will be relocated from the neutral/ground bus over to it. I will also run a solid 6AWG CU jumper from it over to the neutral/ground bus for good measure.

The neutral from the 85A subpanel is 1AWG AL, so it requires one of the two existing large lugs. The large holes on the tiered/stacked combined neutral/ground bus will accept up to 4AWG stranded AL/CU, so I will run 4AWG stranded CU from it to the water pipe.

All of the lugs and and bus bars shown to the left of the main breaker are directly connected to each other (not jumpered). Moving the waterpipe grounding conductor from the lug to the tiered neutral/ground bus seems like it still effectively keeps it on the neutral bus. Does that accomplish what you mentioned brric (waterpipe grounding electrode conductor remaining on the neutral bus)?

Last edited by H2O Engr; 04-05-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:04 AM   #5
Master Electrician

Panel to Water Pipe Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O Engr View Post
A GE TGL8 ground kit will be added to the right of the main breaker and several grounds will be relocated from the neutral/ground bus over to it. I will also run a solid 6AWG CU jumper from it over to the neutral/ground bus for good measure.

The neutral from the 85A subpanel is 1AWG AL, so it requires one of the two existing large lugs. The large holes on the tiered/stacked combined neutral/ground bus will accept up to 4AWG stranded AL/CU, so I will run 4AWG stranded CU from it to the water pipe.

All of the lugs and and bus bars shown to the left of the main breaker are directly connected to each other (not jumpered). Moving the waterpipe grounding conductor from the lug to the tiered neutral/ground bus seems like it still effectively keeps it on the neutral bus. Does that accomplish what you mentioned brric (waterpipe grounding electrode conductor remaining on the neutral bus)?
Yes. Sounds quite reasonable to me. Good plan.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:26 AM   #6
Weekend Warrior

Panel to Water Pipe Bond

The bond will consist of copper wire, aluminum clamp, and copper water pipe. Do I need noalox for the copper wire-to-aluminum clamp connection at the pipe?