Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Panel Upgrade space requirement

Alright guys I had to register because I want some opinions on this... I have been reading this forum almost every day just reading and observing peoples opinions and obvious knowledge and I have a bit of a issue for this panel upgrade...

Currently as you can see in the picture this Service panel with fuses is a 100 amp panel... We are going to be upgrading the service to a 200 amp GE main breaker box... Only issue I have so far realized is the space requirement... To the left is a hot water tank and I realized that when the original box was installed 20 something years ago that tank was there also just a older one so I'm confused as to how this ever passed inspection unless those space requirements didn't exist than... Anyways I am wondering with the washing machine to the right which we can move over about 3 feet and that hot water tank do you think that a inspector would completely fail a upgrade with a new panel box being where the current fuse box is... or do you think that as long as the washing machine is moved over that he would let it slide even know it is obviously still against code....? Anyways I look forward to hearing some opinions

Thank you ,

Josh
Attached Thumbnails
Panel Upgrade space requirement-img00006-20100501-2137.jpg  

joshvette001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #2

I really don't want to bump my own post because I know it can be annoying but can someone give me a opinion on this?

Old 05-02-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 8

Move it two stud bays to the right if possible.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:33 PM   #4

Issue is two bays to the right there is our outdoor faucet installed going through there and directly behind that bay is the air conditoner... so we would have to run the main feed outside through some conduit and than go into the wall which isnt a issue but the issue is that I would have to splice and move all 14 of the nm wire coming into the box and run it over into the bay 2 places over... So im just trying to figoure out because to put it two over is going to be a ridiculous amount of work and if its possible to pass inspection where the current box is that would be 20-30 times easier than having to splice every connection and move everything over...
Old 05-02-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 30

Most inspectors may give you an opinion if you show them the conditions you are working with.