Panel Surge Protector - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2012, 03:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Panel Surge Protector

Thanks for any advice,
I was considering having a whole house surge protector installed at the panel after reading the article last week on c-net which talked about ways to protect home electronics. The electrician who looked at my panel said I don't have the room for the surge breaker and he needs to piggy back 2 other breakers and move everything up to create space. It doesn't sound to me like the best solution - any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Just Asking

Advertisement

IJustAsking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:16 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 802

Panel Surge Protector

They make breakers that can do what you want to do. Check your mfg.

Advertisement

bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:57 AM   #3
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,118

Panel Surge Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJustAsking View Post
Thanks for any advice,
I was considering having a whole house surge protector installed at the panel after reading the article last week on c-net which talked about ways to protect home electronics. The electrician who looked at my panel said I don't have the room for the surge breaker and he needs to piggy back 2 other breakers and move everything up to create space. It doesn't sound to me like the best solution - any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Just Asking
If done in the best manner, it might never be an issue, of course, adding a sub panel isn't out of the question either... which is probably the best route to take, since it will allow future circuits to be added.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Panel Surge Protector

I don't want to talk surge breakers down because they do have their uses but they are limited in their capability (robustness too) because of space. You will notice that they generally have a 2 or 3 year product warranty. These products are best used for flushmount applications like when the panel is in the kitchen and you don't desire to see a LED light. But for superior protection you generally need a larger unit which, unless you upgrade panel with integral surge protector, leaves you with an external solution.

I could go into a lengthy discussion about surge but to answer your space issue I point out that your electrician can sub out an existing breaker for a tandem breaker to install an external surge protector on. A secondary option is to install a Type 1 listed SPD that does not require a breaker for installation.

Fair warning I work for a surge manuf and recommend our part#s50a120v2p. But, regardless of manuf the above advice is applicable.
surgeknowitall is offline   Reply With Quote