Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2009, 11:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Panel Replacement

While I try to sort out our electrical isues here in the house, one of the things on my list to do is a main panel replacement.

Our house was originally on 60A when we first started looking at it and to bring it to code to sell, it had to be swapped from fuse to breakers and currently is at 100A. The seller thought I was crazy when I asked him to upgrade to a 200A box while he was at it since that's what we needed. He said all we would need for this house was 100A... sure.. 3100 sq ft house running on 100A box. His electrician agreed and thats when i knew I should have second guessed buying the house.. but I bought it anyway..

We have 3 spaces available on our box currently - 2 additional if and when I get in there to pop off the breakers for the last 2 K&T circuts (that are off, but still plugged into the box for the 3rd floor).

In order to really to meet code, I have to upgrade the service panel. I know it won't be cheap and because I'd like to eventually add outside lighting to the house I am thinking I want to go ahead and do a 400A service upgrade instead of regretting it and doing it later on.

My question - what is a good brand for a service panel? Are there any favorites? We have a GE panel right now and since hubby works for GE, we'd like to probably keep that brand. My issue is that I don't think the breakers are GE branded and looked when we moved in to be pulled from another panel and re-used. Again another red flag that I should have thought about, but didn't know much better - and sadly my inspector didn't flag either.

I know of Square D and GE, but is there anything else out there that might be something to look at - any to avoid?

And yes - this will be an electrician installed item I may tinker as a DIY'er but I know when to call the pro's in... besides I think I have to have it inspected anyway before hte POCO can turn the power back on...

s_anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:59 PM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Rewards Points: 1,000

Panel Replacement

GE is of course a tried and true product, but I find their residential grade stuff leaves something to be desired. Not junk by any means and I use it when a budget is an issue, but it isn't as sturdy as I like. If you want good equipment that is solid, go with Square D QO line of products.

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:05 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Panel Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
GE is of course a tried and true product, but I find their residential grade stuff leaves something to be desired. Not junk by any means and I use it when a budget is an issue, but it isn't as sturdy as I like. If you want good equipment that is solid, go with Square D QO line of products.
Thanks for the reply! the only thing I knew recently of SqD products was that there were some breakers that were counterfits. I hear the name mentioned ever so often, but never hear anything about how folks felt about it.
s_anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,004

Panel Replacement

Square D QO series is very good. If money is an issue the GE will be just fine. Get as many spaces as possible. 40 spaces on a 200 amp panel.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote