Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #1

Share |

Panel Location

All -

My question is this. I have a hundred year old home with a panel in clear violation of the clearance requirements. My question is when replacing my panel, which has the "out" pipe for plumbing a few inches below it would I have to bring this up to present day code or can this stay as located? I am redoing all the electric in the home, but did not plan on changing the line into the house or the location to the panel. Before I start running my lines to the panel I just want to be sure my panel will be able to stay as located currently. I was supposed to hear back from the inspector to day but like the past 3 Mondays and Wednesdays no call. Is there a type of "renovation code" or grandfather section of the code that would allow me to keep my panel location or will I have to move the panel, meter, supply lines, etc. to bring it up to today's code?

Thanks for any responses.

Tom

I am located in New Jersey.

South Jersey - Camden County

Last edited by tjbingha; 03-27-2013 at 01:37 PM.
tjbingha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #2

Panel Location

What is the violation that would make it not compliant today? If it is a head room issue that is often overlooked for low ceiling basements.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #3

Panel Location

Headroom for one, pretty much all the clearance requirements that you could have. I have about 12 inches to one side of the meter before a corner wall, 20 inches or so to window, there is the drain pipe for the kitchen plumbing directly below it. About 5 1/2 foot ceilings. Needless to say it is not in the best spot. There are tons of old houses in the area so I just wish this guy would return my call. I doubt this is the first time this has come up but I am a little stuck on where to move it. My house has no garage, utility room, etc.

No matter where I move it in the basement I will be in violation of some sort. What a pain this part is.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
Lic Electrical Inspector

Panel Location

Which town do you live in?
. All other states click
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Please check with local, county and state officials as laws may vary.
Sizing motors
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Online motor calculator
. Online calculators
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #5

Panel Location

I suppose you could always mount it on the outside of your house, thats the way its done around here except for mobile homes. Or mount it inside a hallway somewhere, or a spare bedroom, office, den. Just needs to have adequate clearance and access. Mounting it outside requires a certain box.

TrailerParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #6

Panel Location

***** enough and the world shall provide. The inspector called me back and I will fall under the rehab code and do not have to move the box as long as nothing in blocking working access to the panel. Clearance requirements will not fall into play as these requirements were not around when the work was done. My plumbing pipe will not cause issue.

Thanks for your responses.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
Lic Electrical Inspector

Panel Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbingha View Post
***** enough and the world shall provide. The inspector called me back and I will fall under the rehab code and do not have to move the box as long as nothing in blocking working access to the panel. Clearance requirements will not fall into play as these requirements were not around when the work was done. My plumbing pipe will not cause issue.

Thanks for your responses.
What town?
. All other states click
Sizing motors
. Online calculators
Old 03-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #8

Panel Location

No specific requirements for my town, why does it matter?

Old 03-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
Lic Electrical Inspector

Panel Location

I have been an electrical inspector in S. Jersey for 20 yrs. I know most of the inspectors. Follow the links in my signature for a few threads I started specifically for NJ. Post any questions here. Good luck!
. All other states click
Sizing motors
. Online calculators
Old 03-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #10

Panel Location

Ok, just not in the habit of calling out inspectors online by name. It is tough in these small towns due to the size of our departments, there is just no availability for them to get back to us at the same time my project has to move forward. Very different from Philadelphia where I moved from. More than anything there is just not as many requirements as NJ.

Thanks, it is a huge renovation and my biggest problems are what falls under the renovation code and what is required under the new code. No where in my house would my panel meet code and I know how tough NJ is hence my panicking.

And I have been through your signatures many times...

Old 03-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #11

Panel Location

A town would help, im from pennsauken, there are a couple of us on this site that have worked probably all of south jersey
eastcoastsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #12

Panel Location

And a pic
Old 03-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #13

Panel Location

Thanks for the response, but the inspector has responded. I will post updates and questions as I go about the project...I am sure I will have many electrical code questions.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #14

Panel Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbingha
Thanks for the response, but the inspector has responded. I will post updates and questions as I go about the project...I am sure I will have many electrical code questions.
What did he say, do you have a pic. We may be able to clear up some questions ahead of time
Old 03-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #15

Panel Location

The info requested will help others who may have the same issues.

electures (03-27-2013)