Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #1

Share |

Oxidation on wires to light switch

While changing a light switch I discovered that a pair of wires (red and black), which were threaded together and secured with a merret had some oxidation when I removed the merret, which also has signs of rust.

Also, some of the wire sheathing, which was threaded also, was melted.

I removed as much of the sheating, filed off the petina, replaced the worn merret, and secured it all with electrical tape.

Is there anything I should be concerned about? I can post a picture if it nakes it easier.

Thanks in advance!

earthad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:49 PM   #2

You have to get all the patina (oxidation, rust) off namely get the wire end bright and shiny. If the wire end was wrinkled by the merret (marette, wire nut), it may be so hard to get the patina off that you have to cut off the exposed end and trim off more sheathing (insulation) to get a new bare wire end.

Suggest very fine sandpaper (or crocus cloth) to get the patina off.

The plastic sheathing was melted because the patina introduces resistance into the circuit at that point and resistance results in heat.

If the sheathing was threaded, there is a good chance the marette hung up on the sheathing and never fastened the wires themselves tightly and a loose connection often gets hot.

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-23-2010 at 10:52 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
You have to get all the patina (oxidation, rust) off namely get the wire end bright and shiny. If the wire end was wrinkled by the merret (marette, wire nut), it may be so hard to get the patina off that you have to cut off the exposed end and trim off more sheathing (insulation) to get a new bare wire end.

Suggest very fine sandpaper (or crocus cloth) to get the patina off.

The plastic sheathing was melted because the patina introduces resistance into the circuit at that point and resistance results in heat.

If the sheathing was threaded, there is a good chance the marette hung up on the sheathing and never fastened the wires themselves tightly and a loose connection often gets hot.
Thanks for the help... Did exactly what you suggested... I did have to cut a bit off both ends .

Thanks again.
earthad1 is offline   Reply With Quote