Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #1

Share |

Overhead vs Underground

I live in Texas and need to get power to garage located about 30' from house. I thought about underground but that means cutting through concrete sidewalk and conduit up outside of house then entry into attic....inside walls are finished.

I assume I could run overhead (mast to mast) and this would be a less costly option....just not the most attractive. I already have overhead power feed into my house in vicinity of my project. I live in the unincorporated county and do not need any permits, inspections, etc on residential.

Thoughts????

George6488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #2

Overhead vs Underground

Well whatever is ok with you. Just a cost / looks thing.

Also it might be possible to run an underground line into a crawlspace if you have that under your house and then no conduit going up side of house. Anything can be done, the wiring totally hidden. Just a matter of cost. Inside walls can be cut out to run lines, then repaired. Whatever.

Anyway I understand some areas of the U.S. do not require an electrical permit. But I would suggest getting one anyway if you can. Looks better for home resale. But the most important part is you will have your work inspected and be assured it is safe for you and your family.

A read of a small child electrocuted by touching a metal garage door a while back. This was due to a line to a garage which was improperly installed. Something to think about! (That is why electrical inspectors inspect wiring...)

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #3

Overhead vs Underground

How big is the side walk? Is it up against the house or garage?
redman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #4

Overhead vs Underground

depending on width of sidewalk could dig a space large enough so that you can run your conduit under it

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #5

Overhead vs Underground

The sidewalk is 3" to 4" thick and runs solid from house to garage. To the left is a concrete driveway tied to sidewalk.....to the right is a concrete deck.

No crawl space......house and garage are slab on grade.

Mast to mast seems least amount of work....but there is a problem here too.
I would go thru roof into attic space almost above panel......how to anchor mast????

My new thought is mast to mast....garage side is no problem.......house side would be thru roof and overhang and secured to brick side wall near POCO feed. Then thru brick and directly into back of panel.....may work...just need to re-measure everything.

If I cut the concrete walkway......I will need to run up side of house and into attic to get to panel.....same on garage side.

No permits or inspections for residential in unincorporated areas of county.
George6488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Overhead vs Underground

Will building codes let you pursue either option?

For reasons that will likely become obvious in a day or so, there is lots to be said for burying power lines.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #7

Overhead vs Underground

Well obviously im not a professional im just a high schooler and this comment is just speculation and previous opinions ive heard from others.

Id go underground. Though it might mot seem like it i think it would b easier.

If you go over head you should only go a little distance. You see the wires the electric company has put up and think oh i want to do that. But the wires up there are pretty thick and they also have guy wires and different supports. So if you do go over head be careful cause it would suck to have a big wind and knock it down.

I dont know bout texas laws and codes but here in Nebraska theres a maximum distance you can go with over hang (maybe 10' or so im not sure) so though you dont have to worry bout those regulations you might want to because theres gotta be a reason they are there you know?
beans50.96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
Licensed Electrician

Overhead vs Underground

I'd rent a concrete saw and cut a 4"ish channel. Then run PVC and fill with concrete.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote