Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2009, 07:28 AM   #1

Share |

overhead service support bracket

Hi, I have an overhead service to the side of my house and then PVC conduit down to the meter. I have a bracket that has a lag bolt that screws into the house(not sure the proper name for it) that the metal support wire from the pole attaches to. We had some pretty high winds and this support pulled out of the house, assuming it was just screwed into plywood sheeting. I called the power company and they said this is my responsibility to fix. How would I go about fixing this as far as putting in a new bracket and hooking the support wire up to the new bracket? Thanks

ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:25 AM   #2

Call the power company and ask for a temporary power disconnect at the pole so you can work on your service entrance line. Then you can either screw it back into the house or hire an electrician to reattach it for you.

jayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:57 AM   #3

I am surprised that this is not the POCO's responsibility, since their service drop is connected directly to it.
In any case, I certainly would not do this work on a live wire, so take the advice and get POCO to do temporary disconnect at the pole. It will also be a lot easier to make your connection to the bracket if the wire isn't taught.

When fixing the bracket to the house, be sure that the underlying wood/alum, etc is not damaged. You may need to re-position it slightly.

FW

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:36 AM   #4

Ya I was surprised to hear they wouldn't do that either. I just called and they are going to come out and do a temporary disconnect so I can fix this. The anchor pulled out of the vinyl siding and the wood sheating. I'm going to try and put the anchor into a stud this time so it will hold better. I think I might just put some caulk in the hole where the old anchor was. Thanks for your help
Old 05-21-2009, 12:20 PM   #5

All secure now! They were able to come right out. When they got here I talked to them and they said they would just put a new anchor in and secure the wire to the anchor. I told them when I called the power company they said it was my responsibility and not the power companies. The guys said it was their job and they didn't even have to shut the power off. They were done in about 10 minutes and I didn't even have to do anything! The lady on the phone at the office must not know what is their job and what isn't. Oh well job is done and back to the many others around the house! Thanks for your help.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:18 AM   #6

Maybe she was confused between the anchor and something on the service cable. She might have thought that one of the clamps for your SE was broken, and that would be your responsibility.

FW

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:23 PM   #7
electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE2KB View Post
Maybe she was confused between the anchor and something on the service cable. She might have thought that one of the clamps for your SE was broken, and that would be your responsibility.

FW
Or more likely, she is just another dumb broad who doesn't have a clue about anything other than answering the phone. What else could you possibly expect from the receptionist

Silk is offline   Reply With Quote