Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2011, 09:31 AM   #1
Indentured Servant

Share |

Overhead service to buried line

Going to attempt to do this myself. Will need to rent a ditch witch and bury the line. Any tips or things to make this easier/cheaper? I need about 75 feet of line.

jackpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
I=E/R

Since you used the term "Service" are these service conductors or breaker protected feeders?

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:39 AM   #3

1. Call Miss Utility and have everything marked.

2. Follow minimum depths in 300.5.

3. Make sure cable is correct size and type.

4. Use correct burial marking tape in trench.

5. Back fill dirt should be clean of rocks and debris or use sand.

6. Use s loops at each end for earth movement.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:56 AM   #4

Can you legally do this? I couldn't where I live. I dug the trench and laid the conduit, but had to have the power company pull the conductors.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
I=E/R

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Can you legally do this? I couldn't where I live. I dug the trench and laid the conduit, but had to have the power company pull the conductors.
So they are service conductors.
You need to be more descriptive of your project. Where is the meter and where is the main disconnect?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Jackpine.,

As one of our member mention here please try to clearify it little more what are you try to dig in the conductors ??

If this is a service drop and want to change to underground you have to talk to the POCO they have few strict guideline to follow and follow Code05's part as well and the POCO will give you the correct specs for lateral run { underground drop } and most case they will install the lateral run sized for 200 amp service which it is common.

If this will be used between the house and the garage or shed then there is few guide line you have to follow.,,

min depth is 24 inch direct burial or in conduit { I know in wisconsin requiired both at the same depth unless you have 20 amp 120 volt GFCI circuit then it can be shallower it simair rules we have in France }

If more than one circuit you will need then you will have to bring out single MWBC circuit and if you have any exsting circuit like old overhead circuit that have to be removed.

If you have exteitour {outside } luminaires that is contolled by either house or garage you will have to pay attetion to the source location { this part is getting strict nowdays due you will need a common disconnect switch which I will mention in a moment }

All the detached building you will need a disconnect means so a simple double pole or single pole or subpanel with backfeed main breaker { if more than 6 circuits }

Of course with detached buildings you will need ground rods

Let us know what your plans then we can assit you with few tips and info to help you with it and belive or not get the permit for this project this will realy save your rear end.

If more question just holler in here one of us will help you on it.

Merci,
Marc
Old 08-31-2011, 07:06 AM   #7
Indentured Servant

Power from the meter pole to my house is overhead. I am putting a dormer in right where this overhead line comes in. I plan on burying the line from the meter to my house. The overhead is inclosed in conduit and extends down the house to several feet above grade on the block wall just outside of my service box on the inside.

jackpine is offline   Reply With Quote