Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2011, 08:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

overhead light fixture has 9 wires?

I bought a mobile home recently. Many of the overhead ceiling light fixtures were missing when I bought it but the wiring is intact. It looks like the previous owners kept the fixtures when they sold the trailer. I have replaced four of the missing fixtures with no problem, but when I got to the smallest bedroom (8 feet by 9) the space where the fixture goes has three positive, three negative, and three ground wires. (pos = white neg= black) Two of the white wires and one of the black are twisted together with a wire nut. The remaining wires are all hanging loose.

Does anyone have any idea why it has so many wires and what I should do about it? All the other fixtures have the standard three wire configuration (white, black and ground) and the switch for this socket does not seem to turn anything else on or off.

Right now I've left the wiring as it was when I got it except to cap the bare ends. Any suggestions?

pokey1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:40 PM   #2

It sounds like there may have been a fan/light installed originally. The black tied to the two whites is the hot with the whites providing power to two switches in a switch loop. The single white wire left is the neutral to the fixture the two remaining blacks are returns one for the fan and one for the light.

hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:56 PM   #3

We were thinking fan originally, but does that explain the three ground wires? Also, there is only one switch on the wall. All other mystery switches have been accounted for. I thought there might be a three way switch or an outlet that is controlled by the same switch as the light but the outlets in that room are all on a completely different circuit. I can post a pic tomorrow (no flash on camera, no light in room...) if anyone thinks it will help.

If it is for a fan, how do I install just a light? The room is really too small for a ceiling fan but it does need a light.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:12 PM   #4

Use test light or meter, with the switch on connect one lead to the white wire and check for power on the two blacks, one at a time, turn the switch off an check again the one that switched connect to new light, cap the other black wire.

Because you have 3 cables in the box you will have three grounds. wire nut all grounds together.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:08 AM   #5
" Euro " electrician

I will make it simple here .,

One set of conductors are used for switch loop the rest for power feed thru.

A basic short cut to do this is use the ohmmeter { warning make sure the power is off before you do this } and ring it out do it with the wall switch is off and on to verify that is switch loop.

I will post the photo so you can understand it clear.

Just keep in your mind the postion of the cable will not be the excat the same so you will have to do couple testing on that to make sure you got the correct one.

Merci.
Marc
Old 11-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
I will make it simple here .,

One set of conductors are used for switch loop the rest for power feed thru.

A basic short cut to do this is use the ohmmeter { warning make sure the power is off before you do this } and ring it out do it with the wall switch is off and on to verify that is switch loop.

I will post the photo so you can understand it clear.

Just keep in your mind the postion of the cable will not be the excat the same so you will have to do couple testing on that to make sure you got the correct one.

Merci.
Marc
Marc, the original post states that the original wiring had a black nutted to two whites which suggests two switch loops or a code violation.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:59 AM   #7
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayewe farm View Post
Marc, the original post states that the original wiring had a black nutted to two whites which suggests two switch loops or a code violation.
Hayewe Farm.,

That is possiblty that the OP may have two switches loops however if the OP did have single switch only then there is few code voliations allready arise it will take a little digging to find out what circuit is on.

Merci,
Marc
Old 11-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #8

All outlets and switches are accounted for, none are controlled by the wall switch that controls this light. Also, based on my observations, this fixture should be the last one on this circuit. The overhead light fixtures in the house cover two circuits, three rooms on one and three rooms on another. This is the room that should be at the end of one circuit.

Just outside of the room is the base where a hard-wired smoke detector should go. The smoke detector is missing and I don't know what circuit said detector was attached to. Could this funny wiring have something to do with providing power to the smoke detector? Or is that a stupid question?
Old 11-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #9

Thanks for everything, guys. I called an electrician and he came out today. The extra wires go to outlets in another room that we thought were on a circuit that had been disconnected on purpose. You are right that it was in fact a code violation. They used the light socket as a junction box instead of installing a separate one. The problem is actually being repaired fairly inexpensively by installing a proper junction box and re-routing the offending wires. My little bedroom now has light! Thank you!