Over The Range Micro - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2008, 01:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 586

Over the Range Micro

I currently have a vent hood over the stove and would like to replace with microwave. Is there any way I can attach using the same wiring? If not, how do I install this microwave.
I am installing new cabinets so the heighth won't make a difference.
The main issue is that I don't have space to add another breaker on my panel.

Advertisement

cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:14 PM   #2
J Calvin Construction

Rewards Points: 150

Over the Range Micro

It will be tough but possible. The micro/hood combo is going to pull more amps than the old hood did so you will have to make sure that you have a dedicated circuit. If you don't, run one. When you run the new wire, put in to an outlet in the cabinet that the combe will hang from. When you buy your combo, it will come with directions of how to mount it. It has a pigtail that will plug into the outlet instead of hardwiring.

Advertisement

You hired WHO?
jcalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Over the Range Micro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibula11 View Post
I currently have a vent hood over the stove and would like to replace with microwave. Is there any way I can attach using the same wiring? If not, how do I install this microwave.
I am installing new cabinets so the heighth won't make a difference.
The main issue is that I don't have space to add another breaker on my panel.
You should have the microwave on a 20A circuit with 12ga wire. Depends on how the vent hood is wired.

As for not having another breaker for expansion room, that is not a problem. You can get a twin breaker that is the same width as one of your existing breakers, but will be two individual circuits. Take out a 20 amp breaker, and add in a new double breaker in its place. Replace the removed circuit and add yourself a new 20A circuit for the microwave. That way you're not tripping the breaker when the microwave and the range vent are on at the same time.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:24 PM   #4

Over the Range Micro

I already have a couple of tandems on my panel. Is there a limit. Is it really just as simple as disconnecting the old 20 amp and replacing wire on new tandem and then adding the new circuit to the next?

Any ballpark idea on cost assuming labor is $60-70 per hour?

The microwave is an over the range (with vent). I will be removing the current vent hood.

I did just realize that there used to be a gas range, we have since changed to electric. So, there is an outlet in the base cabinet that is not being used. Could I extend this to the uppers and install the microwave on this?

Last edited by cibula11; 04-18-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:04 PM   #5
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,766

Over the Range Micro

Yes there is a limit to tandems in a panel. Some panels cannot use any while some take up to 10. You need to check the label inside the panel. Some panels have part numbers like QO200M3040. This panel can use tandems while the QO200M40 cannot use any.

Unless the old stove was on a dedicated circuit you will not be able to extend it for the new microhood.
Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:18 AM   #6

Over the Range Micro

I found out that it wasn't on a dedicated circuit. The hood is with a couple of receptacles. I plugged in the over the range micro and turned everything on to see if I would trip anything. Nothing happened. The only time I noticed anything was when I ran the garabage disposal the lights flickered a bit, but it does that right now. Is the lights flickering the only concern?
Old 04-20-2008, 12:55 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Over the Range Micro

Your new micro needs a dedicated 20 amp circuit. It is a common thing to switch them out and it generally causes a problem if you don't run a new circuit. Code does require it.

The labor depends on access to your panel. Best case 2 hours, worst case, 6 hours.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:24 PM   #8

Over the Range Micro

That's what I figured. I have a dedicated 15 amp circuit for a sump pump that is not being used, and probably will never be used. Can I just use that circuit? It's not 20 amp but I'm guessing that 15 amp that is dedicated is better than nothing.

I suppose I can cut down on labor costs if I have all cabinets removed from the area. I wouldn't guess it taking too long. I might even see if I can run the wire and then have them do the connections. Is this common for homeowners to do?
Old 04-22-2008, 12:24 PM   #9

Over the Range Micro

Can I just switch out any 20 amp breaker in my box and replace with a tandem to run?
What size of wire?
What if my neutral bar is pretty much full. I know it is not code to put two neutrals on one screw, but I looked and that's how its been done in the past.

Advertisement