Outside RV Outlet Box To House Flex Ok? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2011, 12:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

outside RV outlet box to house flex ok?

I am really confused reading the NEC handbook. i can find this answer. I need to get my 120v 30A RVoutlet next to my house project to code after screwing up asking phone questions to inspector..gave up my address ooops.

I have a waterproofbox that sits the cord and protects it but the problen is ..its so tight i need to run it out conduit through top hole than back hole so i cant attch direct to house without headache. SO i have watertight notmetallic conduit about 4 feet bushing into box. which I want so secure to galv fence pole and a plywood. THEN run the conduit though wall of house THEN it it just romex stapled up into ceileing and dropping though breakerbox.

Someone told me i cant just run the conduit into the house and end it there..it has to go all the way to breaker. doesnt make sense to me..its not metali..i could put a bushing on. the whole purpose of that conduit is to keep the indoors 10/2 wire protected and waterproof. Once it gets intohouse what needs to be done from there. the box will be appros 18" from wall of house..need answers soon bfore insector looks
thanks

this house is not finished..it was a extension to mobile home then i tore out moblie home so i can work around with plans..all i ineed is to get an external box not mounted to house into house wall

I really need help//i just sent a simple drawing of what i got..bad drawer the watertight grey flexible conduit is not with severe bends.. the point is whether this set up is legal. I really rather do this then try to screw to the stucco. I dont know if i have a plug big enough to gothrough the stuccoand board. I dont want to cut a panel hole..the other side will be bathroom
PLEEASE HELP!
Attached Thumbnails
outside RV outlet box to house flex ok?-picture-21.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by 1488rob; 03-10-2011 at 03:18 AM.
1488rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:57 AM   #2
Scared Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

two points

yes you are correct that if using conduit to sleeve cable you may use a bushing with out running pipe all the way

two romex is not code in any pipe(or without) outside.

so you will have to use pipe all the way in order to use THWN OR
put a jbox somewhere(accessible) and transition to romex inside

Advertisement

Please follow the code - its there for your safety no matter how inconvenient.
Saturday Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #3

So what I can do it mount box to house? wast sucks is iwas told i could use romex outside in pipe..I know that romex has got provisoins for residential where commercial cant use it..it is just unclear...no w i am even more confused. I am thinking I would be better off having the inspector say nono and fix it setting up on house so atleast i have the hole right
Old 03-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,792

Type Nm cable can be run in a conduit for physical protection. It cannot be used outside, even if in a conduit. Type UF is an exterior rated non-metallic cable like NM.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,008

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1488rob View Post
So what I can do it mount box to house? wast sucks is iwas told i could use romex outside in pipe..I know that romex has got provisoins for residential where commercial cant use it..it is just unclear...no w i am even more confused. I am thinking I would be better off having the inspector say nono and fix it setting up on house so atleast i have the hole right
No Romex outside in conduit. UF cable yes. You can run Romex from the panel inside into the back of the box mounted to the outside wall. But thats as far as you can go with Romex.

Then you can use flex to go to the equipment. No Romex in the flex either. UF or THWN individual wires.

Hope that makes sense.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #6
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

Or just use 10/2 UF from the panel to the exterior box, no transition to NM necessary.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:36 PM   #7
Scared Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

good point

Please follow the code - its there for your safety no matter how inconvenient.
Saturday Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:56 AM   #8
Electrical Supplier

Rewards Points: 150

I thought that if you used Liqui tite or PVC the inside of the conduit was considered dry unless it is buried, at which point is becomes wet...........

If this is true then NM can be used inside of it....

Your AHJ/Inspectors ALWAYS have the final say on ANY electrical code issue.
If in doubt, contact a licensed, experienced, reputable electrician to perform the work.
LyonsElecSupply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:27 AM   #9

the electric supply guy showed me how all I had to do was put a nipple in the box and run through the wall and cut the sheathing right when it enters the nipple PERFEct! I did have to get a 2" nipple..the 1.5 didnt quite make it. The only reason i was wanting the box was so i didnt have to cut a bigass hole in my wall. The tough part was squeezing 6" of solid 10ga back in box. that 30amp receptacle doesnt leave ANY room..now I will have to get it back in after the inspector looks..ARRRGH.
thanks for all the replies!
Old 03-11-2011, 07:57 AM   #10
Licensed electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1488rob View Post
the electric supply guy showed me how all I had to do was put a nipple in the box and run through the wall and cut the sheathing right when it enters the nipple PERFEct! I did have to get a 2" nipple..the 1.5 didnt quite make it. The only reason i was wanting the box was so i didnt have to cut a bigass hole in my wall. The tough part was squeezing 6" of solid 10ga back in box. that 30amp receptacle doesnt leave ANY room..now I will have to get it back in after the inspector looks..ARRRGH.
thanks for all the replies!
The guy at the supply house told you to do something that was against code. Sorry to see that you would not listen to the advice of the professionals on this board.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:20 AM   #11
Licensed electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyonsElecSupply View Post
I thought that if you used Liqui tite or PVC the inside of the conduit was considered dry unless it is buried, at which point is becomes wet...........

The inside of a conduit outside is considered a wet area. NM is prohibited from use in wet or damp areas. 334.12(B)(4).
Old 03-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,008

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyonsElecSupply View Post

It's not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
The inside of a conduit outside is considered a wet area. NM is prohibited from use in wet or damp areas. 334.12(B)(4).
This is true.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #13
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

rob

You cannot strip the sheathing from the NM and use the wires as individual conductors. You need to either use UF cable or THWN. If using THWN, you will need conduit wherever you use it. If using UF, it is considered direct burial but you will need conduit where it is susceptible to damage (basically anything above ground outside should be in conduit (in your situation) as a lawnmower could throw sticks or rocks and damage the cable.

If you want to run conduit completely outside (if using UF) you can bore a hole for the conduit to enter the house and put a bell end on the conduit and then simply continue the open cable to the panel.

If you use THWN outside (in conduit of course), you can run a conduit through the wall and install a box inside where you can convert to NM cable or you can run conduit and THWN all the way to the panel.

Just remember to seal the conduit where it goes through the wall or if using a complete run of conduit (from panel to receptacle box) seal it where it enters the panel.

It is was me, I would do use the second method. It will allow you to use smaller conduit (save money) and the wire is less per foot as well. Inside I would probably continue the conduit and THWN. That would save you from buying that little bit of NM.

Quote:
The tough part was squeezing 6" of solid 10ga back in box. that 30amp receptacle doesnt leave ANY room.
are you sure the box is large enough? There are requirements for the minimum size box you can use.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
It's not true.

This is true.
you can run nm in a short nipple to transition from inside to out.in fact when nm is used to run power to kit island,it goes in conduit.it is done all the time.read 334.15(b)
oleguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #15
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleguy74 View Post
you can run nm in a short nipple to transition from inside to out.in fact when nm is used to run power to kit island,it goes in conduit.it is done all the time.read 334.15(b)
I think the concern was it was in regards to outside use.

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote