Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2011, 10:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

OUtside light should have 120 VAC and has 5-12 VAC

The switch for the porch light light is just inside door. The light outside hasn't worked in quite in a while. I removed bulb and it looks like the the connections on it shorted out. On the inside of the house there is a 1 pole switch to turn off and a timer. The timer never worked right so I removed it and hoped to turn the switch on and off with just the single pole switch. I wired single pole switch and the light doesn't work. I checked voltage and and only getting 5-12 VAC intermittently. I disconnected light outside so wires should be coming straight from fuse panel (living room shares same fuse as outside light) and all wires in living room have 120 VAC, but even with light fixture connected outside I only get 5-12 VAC intermittently. I tried swapping breakers with a known good one and the spare and still same results. Any thoughts? Could the wires leading outside to porch light some how be shorted causing a drop in voltage? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

dsandine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,280

You should first of all turn off the power to this circuit,
IE remove fuse.
Check the wiring and all connections between the light
and the living room circuit.
Dirty / loose connections can cause problems,
Also the cable could be faulty or burnt out,
The fault current from a short can burn out cables.
Are you real sure that the living room circuit
provides power for the porch light ?
If you are not 100% sure, follow the cable
to its source.
And be aware of other live circuits.
If you dont feel confident you can do
this safely, then dont.
Call an electricain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsandine View Post
The switch for the porch light light is just inside door. The light outside hasn't worked in quite in a while. I removed bulb and it looks like the the connections on it shorted out. On the inside of the house there is a 1 pole switch to turn off and a timer. The timer never worked right so I removed it and hoped to turn the switch on and off with just the single pole switch. I wired single pole switch and the light doesn't work. I checked voltage and and only getting 5-12 VAC intermittently. I disconnected light outside so wires should be coming straight from fuse panel (living room shares same fuse as outside light) and all wires in living room have 120 VAC, but even with light fixture connected outside I only get 5-12 VAC intermittently. I tried swapping breakers with a known good one and the spare and still same results. Any thoughts? Could the wires leading outside to porch light some how be shorted causing a drop in voltage? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

dmxtothemax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsandine View Post
I removed bulb and it looks like the the connections on it shorted out.
Did you remove the fixture and check the wiring inside the box too? It's pretty hard for a screw in bulb socket to short.
Quote:
On the inside of the house there is a 1 pole switch to turn off and a timer. The timer never worked right so I removed it and hoped to turn the switch on and off with just the single pole switch. I wired single pole switch and the light doesn't work.
You had both a switch and a timer to control this light?
Quote:
I checked voltage and and only getting 5-12 VAC intermittently. I disconnected light outside so wires should be coming straight from fuse panel (living room shares same fuse as outside light) and all wires in living room have 120 VAC, but even with light fixture connected outside I only get 5-12 VAC intermittently.
You need to determine if power is fed to the light outside or if power is fed to the switch box. If power is fed to the light, you would have a switch loop back to the switch. If power is at the switch then you would have a neutral and switched hot going to the light. How many cables are inside the fixture box outside?
How did you determine which wires to test for voltage?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I figured which wires to test as I was an electronic Technicolor for 8 years and have wired thousands of outlets, switches and what not. According to the circuit breaker panel the outside light is powered by the circuit breaker that powers living room. This is my rental property and I will check again tomorrow and post some pictures in hoes that maybe you guys can help. Thanks for all the help. When I re-install it is only going to bea switch with no timer.
dsandine is offline   Reply With Quote