Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2011, 08:42 AM   #1

Share |
Question

outside to inside electrical outlets

i recently had a outside outlet installed for my outdoor lighting. the contractor ran off the same line from my dining room outlet and just drilled out the brick and was done. i ran xmas lights off this outlet so i know it has worked before. yesterday i was installing a water proof shield over the outlet and my screwdriver hit the side of the HOT outlet. the guy at lowes said that I probably just fried that one outlet. now my problem (before i fix that outside outlet) is that i have a row of outlets inside in kitchen/dining room (two seperate rooms) that don't work. ALL GFCI switches are on and reset. main box in garage shows all circuits are on. the reason for me checking those GFCI switches is that this outlet outside runs off my dining room outlet. so here's my question....

by fixing the outside out will that make these outlets work again or did i fry those outlets in my kitchen/dining room as well??

taylorbeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

While only the countertop receptacles need GFI protection the dining room might be downstream from a GFI you have not found. You could also start to look at the last working or first non-working receptacle for a loose connection.

BTW, adding a receptacle outside to the dining and kitchen receptacles is a Code violation.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:02 AM   #3
Electrician

Start again by looking at the breakers in the panel. One is probably tripped. The handle is probably in the 'center' position, neither all the way off, nor all the way on. If you find one like that, move it to the off position, then to the on position.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:50 PM   #4

You could also have a loose connection in the box where you had the problem. I would check that closely and repair that problem first, then if you still have a problem with the other outlets, check further.
davido30093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:53 AM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbeier View Post
i recently had a outside outlet installed for my outdoor lighting. the contractor ran off the same line from my dining room outlet and just drilled out the brick and was done. i ran xmas lights off this outlet so i know it has worked before. yesterday i was installing a water proof shield over the outlet and my screwdriver hit the side of the HOT outlet. the guy at lowes said that I probably just fried that one outlet. now my problem (before i fix that outside outlet) is that i have a row of outlets inside in kitchen/dining room (two seperate rooms) that don't work. ALL GFCI switches are on and reset. main box in garage shows all circuits are on. the reason for me checking those GFCI switches is that this outlet outside runs off my dining room outlet. so here's my question....

by fixing the outside out will that make these outlets work again or did i fry those outlets in my kitchen/dining room as well??
If you have that contractor done that way that is a major code volitation they are NOT allowed in NEC code at all I know the same with French electrical codes as well.

Was this contractor you hired to do the work on that part is licesed electrician ? if not then that person have no bussiness to do that.

Sorry to be harsh on that point but that is not a really wise idea to do that all.

Many Electricians will know this part and we will not use those circuit so we will run from seperated circuit.

Now to troubleshooting first thing you will have to double check the breakers to make sure they are not in tripped modé.

Once you verifed then you will have to start to find where is the loose connection that cause the issue.

It can be bad wirenut or loose connection one of the receptale espcally with backstabbing they are famous for that.

And I will really recomend that you start plan to run that outdoor receptale from diffrent circuit like garage or other places.

The following circuits are off limit { not to add or change out of the scope }

• Kitchen
• Dinning room
• Bathrooms
• Furance

Plus may have few other items depending on your state or local codes requirments.

Merci.
Marc