Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2008, 10:56 AM   #1

Share |

Outside conduit to flood light

Installing a motion sensored flood light off the rear of my house, no wiring is currently in place. I have access from the attic but because there is no soffet (roof edge touches top of exterior wall) and the gutters run there I cannot get a wire directly behind where the light is going to go. Its near the corner of the house so I plan to run out the side and around the corner, then into the light box; at most 2 feet. What do I need to run the wire through for this short distance? Not really feeling buying a roll of exterior wire to use 2'.

moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:10 AM   #2

Money,
These are the hardest type's of questions to answer in a forum. Since I cannot see your intentions it is impossible to really help you. If you want to use conduit, EMT looks the best, but PVC is the easiest and cheapest way to go.
Can you try a another loction for the fixture. Got a picture?

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:43 AM   #3

JV, I'm not asking for better light placement as there is no other place to put it. Maybe I got into more detail than needed. Forgetting the rest, a wire sticks out of my house 10' off the ground, I need it to go 2' around a corner into a fixture. You answered my question with the EMT or PVC, since my house is white I'll likely go PVC. I assume the joints are glued to keep out water? Not a huge fan of making this irreplaceable but so it goes.

Last edited by moneymgmt; 02-05-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymgmt View Post
You answered my question with the EMT or PVC, since my house is white I'll likely go PVC. I assume the joints are glued to keep out water?
The grey PVC used as an electrical conduit is not the same as the white schedule 40 used for plumbing. It is specially designed for electrical use. Avoid using plumbing PVC. And yes, it is primed and glued at the joints.
This is seldom a pretty process, but when it's done you can spray paint the whole thing to match your house.
Randell Tarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:35 PM   #5
Union Electrician

Randall hit it Shedule 80 pipe is sunlight resistant. Code demands this to be used anytime an installation will be in the glaring light of day. I've never painted PVC so I can't vouch for it's performance post paint. I have, however painted EMT and it has held up very well. For an outdoor install be sure and use compression fittings.
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:08 AM   #6

I figured there was something besides EMT, glad you mentioned the different PVC.... never knew that before.