DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

outlets work, but barely (?)

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  fw2007 
#1 ·
Well, somehow I messed something up, and I've got two outlets (they're same circuit, connected to each other) that have power - but barely. I put a fan in them and it moves, but it doesn't move a fraction as fast as it should (and does in other outlets).

Any quick reasons two outlets would be giving power, but not full power? I *think* my connections are tight, and am going to check again, but it'd surely be a coincidence if they were bad on both outlets that are having the issue*.

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated, I've been up and down from the attic here in FL almost all day for 3 days straight, trail/erroring this, any ideas or anything would be hugely appreciated!!! Below is the story that changed these fine-working outlets to the half-powered POS's they are right now!!

(* this issue was created by me, as follows :no::
the two outlets in question are in different rooms that share a common wall, the outlets are both on this common wall. Both rooms had switches connected to their respective outlets, and the outlets worked great with the switches controlling them properly. However, I wanted those switches for other reasons < I re-routed each room's respective switch to the ceiling fan in each room - I should note these two ceiling fans, which the switches now (successfully) control, are on completely different circuits than the outlets in question)

See less See more
#5 ·
:whistling2:

hahahah ok I'll share :laughing:
The wall outlets were all on one circuit, and there were two other circuits (one room's ceiling fan, which became switched, and the other room's ceiling fan + movie projector w/ switched fan / constant-power projector).

The problem was that I had mixed the damn wiring from the projector/switched-fan with the wire to one of the outlets from the outlet circuit, so it would just blow the fuse each time.

After that was fixed and the circuits were separated properly, I couldn't even begin to guess at what caused the low, but present, power issue. Alright I'll try to guess - the best I can think of is that there were two outlets in line with each other, so they'd need ONE wire connecting them, but I had two wires - both a direct one through the wall (they shared a common wall), and one in the attic :whistling2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.