Outlets And Switches In Series Or Parallel? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2011, 12:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Outlets and switches in series or parallel?

I will be installing some new work outlets and switches, and am wondering what the optimal way to lay out the wire path in the wall.

Are there any rules of thumb, when deciding how to wire up sockets and switches? Should I try and daisy chain (series) them as much as possible, or use a junction box in the attic, and have a few individual branches (parallel), or there is really no difference and I should just do whatever is easiest/cleanest/ or uses the least wire?

Advertisement

Tetranitrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetranitrate View Post
I will be installing some new work outlets and switches, and am wondering what the optimal way to lay out the wire path in the wall.

Are there any rules of thumb, when deciding how to wire up sockets and switches? Should I try and daisy chain (series) them as much as possible, or use a junction box in the attic, and have a few individual branches (parallel), or there is really no difference and I should just do whatever is easiest/cleanest/ or uses the least wire?
Do what fits the structure design. All wiring is in parallel whether you use a junction box or daisy chain from box to box.

Advertisement

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,048

Normal daisy chaining of outlets is really a parallel connection also. (connect blacks together and connect to one side, as in left or right, of receptacle, connect whites together and to other side of receptacle)
Old 07-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,518

Which ever method uses the least cable is the one I use.
There is no best or better way if you do it to code.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the great replies everyone

I know that everything is technically in parallel, and should probably have chosen my wording a bit better (after all, being technically correct is the best kind of being correct), but I figured they were the easiest terms I could use to describe the setup I was asking about.

It is also good to know that there is no real preferred setup, it will make my work much easier. I figured someone might have had an opinion on it (ex: Do whatever uses the least wire, while not over-stuffing the boxes), and wanted to see what the general consensus was before jumping in.
Tetranitrate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outlets , parallel , series , switches