Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-24-2009, 12:51 PM   #1

Share |

Outlets not working after bad cord

I was doing some work around my house yesterday with my brother in law. Anyways, he plugged an extension cord into the wall that was damaged. By damaged, I mean the orange insulation as well as the wire insulation itself was gone and the wired were exposed. I guess he didn't see it. In any case, the outlet does not work now along with a couple other outlets near it. none of the breakers tripped, so I'm not sure if it just blew the breaker and I have to replace the breaker or what. I know this is a simple question, but I'm not really sure.
Thanks
faromic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:59 PM   #2

I think it caused an otherwise marginal connection upstream of the non-working outlets to fail outright, but check the breaker output voltage anyway.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #3
Household Handyman

I agree with "Yoyizit" and would like to add: Being as this is an electrical problem, IF you are not comfortable with the "seek-and-search" mission you are about to undertake---have someone who is comfortable with electricity do this job. I also would start with checking the actual output of the breaker which you know to be for that circuit. IF you have proper voltage at the breaker output, then proceed to check each and every duplex outlet on that circuit--with the POWER OFF! Check for loose connection(s), check for evidence of burning at the connections,. OOPS! I hope there were not back-stabbed connections either, IF SO- please connect them properly at the screws or change the outlets to units with screws. Good Luck, Merry Christmas, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Or it could be a GFCI outlet that has tripped and took ouy the power to all the downstream receptacles. Check for a tripped GFCI.
rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:25 PM   #5

I agree. Sounds like you are working outdoors. The receptacle should be GFCI protected. Look around outside of house or in garage, bathrooms or basement of possible GFCI to reset.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:24 PM   #6

Yeah - probably a GFCI outlet somewhere, or be sure the breaker is not really tripped - shut if off and back on - they don't all appear obvious they are tripped.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote