Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #1

Share |

outlets not working

My cousin has an issue with her outlets not working but the fan and the lights on the fan is working. They are all on the same exact breaker because when i turn the breaker off the fan does not work so i have already confirmed its on the same breaker....What could be the issue here??? I've tried replacing the outlets and still nothing....When i plug in the outlet checker light up device it says hot/ground reverse.. but its weird because it was working before. She said the outlets stopped working when she was vacuuming her room...any ideas??? could it be the breaker? it seems like the breaker is on a gfci breaker...ive tried resting all the outlets that had gfci on it????any ideas on what went wrong?

jackandjill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

outlets not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackandjill View Post
My cousin has an issue with her outlets not working but the fan and the lights on the fan is working.

They are all on the same exact breaker because when i turn the breaker off the fan does not work so i have already confirmed its on the same breaker....
*usually* lighting and receptacles are NOT on the same circuit.

What could be the issue here???
Lot's of things.

When i plug in the outlet checker light up device it says hot/ground reverse.. but its weird because it was working before.
when is "before"?

She said the outlets stopped working when she was vacuuming her room...any ideas???

did the outlet go "poof" and release all the smoke enzymes?

could it be the breaker?
It could... but you are so certain it wasn't (see above)...

it seems like the breaker is on a gfci breaker...
seems? either it is a GFI breaker or it isn't.

Ive tried resetting all the outlets that had gfci on it????
and? what happened?
Were any of them hot/ground reversed as well?

any ideas on what went wrong?
somebody crossed something up

I've tried replacing the outlets and still nothing....
Like I said...
I don't know where to start here.
Anyone else wanna take it?

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

outlets not working

You have a loose connection somewhere. Look at the last working or first non-working device.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #4

outlets not working

Hot/Ground reverse is an indication is an open neutral. The problem could be in a working device, switch box, or other junction box.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:33 PM   #5

outlets not working

I've been reading these posts lately because I can't figure out my electrical problem. YOU guys are AWESOME. I'm referring to the guys that really try to help and with the patience of a Saint! I think yall have given me a deeper respect for electricity. I have some outlets that quit working and I thought I'd just turn off the breaker and replace the outlets. Wrong! I did that and the outlets are still dead. I have some questions but I'm gonna get all my facts together first. Thanks you guys.

hardwarechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #6
Remodel and New Build GC

outlets not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Hot/Ground reverse is an indication is an open neutral. The problem could be in a working device, switch box, or other junction box.
Joed ^^^^^

Yes.... You typically get the hot/ground reverse with a broken neutral ... when that broken neutral is upstream (closer to the panel) of the reading and there is a load imposed (non working device but the device is " on ") on the neutral downstraem of the break.

Thus, if you have a concept of the circuit run, you can chase down the approximate location of the broken neutral.

1) First, check out if it is simply a broken neutral in an isolated circuit.
Make sure everything (devices)is off on the circuit (not the breaker) not just not working, but is OFF (such there is no potential load on the neutral). On a non working receptical, your plug-in tester should read "open neutral"... not hot/ground reverse.

If it does not, your issue may be more complex/different than bad neutral.

2) Then, you want to find the most downstraem receptical that is working, and your neutral break will be either there or the next downstraem receptical.(which is not working).

If you do not have a concept of your likely circuit run, this may help you determine it.

3)Considering your fan is operating, it must be upstream of the break, and considering that it involves vibration, that may be a likely place to look first.

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 06-10-2014 at 03:45 PM.
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:24 PM   #7

outlets not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackandjill View Post
My cousin has an issue with her outlets not working but the fan and the lights on the fan is working. They are all on the same exact breaker because when i turn the breaker off the fan does not work so i have already confirmed its on the same breaker....What could be the issue here??? I've tried replacing the outlets and still nothing....When i plug in the outlet checker light up device it says hot/ground reverse.. but its weird because it was working before. She said the outlets stopped working when she was vacuuming her room...any ideas??? could it be the breaker? it seems like the breaker is on a gfci breaker...ive tried resting all the outlets that had gfci on it????any ideas on what went wrong?
Are you really sure that these recepticules are on the same circuit as the fan and light ?

If they are ? check for a tripped GFCI, they could be lurking anywhere,
usually where you least expect it ! search search search !

Otherwise you could have a loose connection that has finally failed.

Turn off the circuit, remove all things connectted to this circuit and examine for any loose or damaged wires.

If indeed all these things are on one circuit, you should be able to work out the order of connecttion and then it should be more obvious where to start.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:32 PM   #8
Licensed Pro

outlets not working

This thread is over 2 years old.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:47 PM   #9
Remodel and New Build GC

outlets not working

From Hardware Chick at post 5....
I've been reading these posts lately because I can't figure out my electrical problem. YOU guys are AWESOME. I'm referring to the guys that really try to help and with the patience of a Saint! I think yall have given me a deeper respect for electricity. I have some outlets that quit working and I thought I'd just turn off the breaker and replace the outlets. Wrong! I did that and the outlets are still dead. I have some questions but I'm gonna get all my facts together first. Thanks you guys.

Oh... Hardware has a similar issue... been studying past threads.... and was just saying thanks and will coime in with the actual issue...

Hardware... Guess we are more interested in the issue than reading the date.

Welcome....

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 06-10-2014 at 07:49 PM.
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:03 AM   #10

outlets not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseHelper View Post
This thread is over 2 years old.

How do these old threads get ressurectted ?
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:52 AM   #11

outlets not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post
How do these old threads get ressurectted ?

Google is forever. Also, this forum lists "similar" threads going back years. Nothing ever closes to comments.

99BN99 is offline   Reply With Quote