Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2010, 10:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Outlets from multiple baths on the same circuit?

I have redone all the electrical for my master bath and recently realized the the outlet from the basement bathroom is now dead. The master bath outlets are on their own dedicated 20a circuit. Can I tie the basement bath outlet to that circuit?

BimmerRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,000

I believe a single circuit can be used to power ONE of the following:

One bath: outlets/lighting

Two baths: outlets only

So if the circuit you are talking about only powers outlets (not lighting) in one bathroom, and no other room (hallway, bedroom, etc), then you should be able to use it to power only outlets in another bathroom.

Also, it needs to be GFCI protected. You can protect this circuit in one place, before it splits to both bathrooms (via either a GFCI receptacle or GFCI breaker). Or you can make the most upstream outlet in each bathroom a GFCI outlet.

Last edited by secutanudu; 01-27-2010 at 10:22 AM.
secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #3

Right, one of the new 20A circuits only powers the outlets in the master bath. The basement bath is currently a 15A non-GFCI outlet on *I think* 14/2 wire.

I figured the easiest way to get it to code would be to put splice via installing a covered box in the ceiling of the basement bath which is where the wire running to the outlets in the upstairs bath is and run a new 12/2 to the basement bath GFCI outlet.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu View Post
One bath: outlets/lighting

Two baths: outlets only
Correct
I would have a GFCI outlet in the basement
Then off the LINE side (not LOAD) feed to the Master bath & put another GFCI outlet in

I prefer a dedicated run to each bathroom for outlets only
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post

I prefer a dedicated run to each bathroom for outlets only

As would I, which is why I added circuits to the master (outlets, floor heat, steam shower, whirlpool are all on their own). The bath in the basement is small and only has one outlet which is unlikely to be used for anything aside from a nightlight. I know I am being a bit lazy
Old 01-27-2010, 10:34 AM   #6
Just call me Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRacer View Post
installing a covered box
What do you mean covered? Do you mean by drywall? If so, not allowed. All boxes with splices need to be accessible.

If you do plan to do a splice and have a leg go to each bathroom, it might be easier to manage later if you do it closer to your panel. Then again, if you're splicing near the panel, might as well just do two circuits.

Other than that, your plan sounds ok. Is the first (or only) outlet in your upstairs bath GFCI also? It needs to be for the way you want to do it.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
What do you mean covered? Do you mean by drywall? If so, not allowed. All boxes with splices need to be accessible.

If you do plan to do a splice and have a leg go to each bathroom, it might be easier to manage later if you do it closer to your panel. Then again, if you're splicing near the panel, might as well just do two circuits.

Other than that, your plan sounds ok. Is the first (or only) outlet in your upstairs bath GFCI also? It needs to be for the way you want to do it.
I believe he means a box (say an outlet box) with a splice inside and a blank cover plate. The cover plate remains exposed on the ceiling and therefore is not "covered".

Our municipality is using NEC 2009, and I was told by our inspector that under that code I could indeed share 20 amp outlet circuits and 15 amp lighting circuits between two baths.
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Shoot, I knew that! Hmm, I need to rethink where I tie in. I assume having an access panel is sufficient?

Quote:
Not close to panel but the basement bath is directly below master. And I have no plans to do anything more with that room in terms of electrical.

Quote:
The upstairs outlets in the master are all GFCI pigtailed to the line.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #9
Just call me Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRacer View Post
The upstairs outlets in the master are all GFCI pigtailed to the line.

I would think an access panel is ok, but I'm not certain.

Only the first outlet in your master bath needs to be GFCI. The rest of the outlets in the bath can be fed off the LOAD side of that outlet, and you could move one of these "extra" gfci's to your basement bath. It'll save you $15.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:05 PM   #10
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,166

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
Our municipality is using NEC 2009, and I was told by our inspector that under that code I could indeed share 20 amp outlet circuits and 15 amp lighting circuits between two baths.
This is not what the NEC allows. The one 20 amp circuit can have other loads like the lighting only if it serves ONE bathroom.

The circuit can serve multiple bathrooms if it only serves receptacles loads, with no lighting.

FWIW, there is no NEC 2009. The latest edition is 2008. The 2011 edition is not out yet.
Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
This is not what the NEC allows. The one 20 amp circuit can have other loads like the lighting only if it serves ONE bathroom.

The circuit can serve multiple bathrooms if it only serves receptacles loads, with no lighting.

FWIW, there is no NEC 2009. The latest edition is 2008. The 2011 edition is not out yet.
The NEC doesn't allow what?

This thread seems to have indicated you CAN share a 20 amp circuit between two bathrooms (with perhaps the stipulation that the 20 amp circuit doesn't also power lights).

Are you saying that you can't share a 15 amp circuit for lighting between two bathrooms?

Now my inspector might have made a mistake, but a direct question regarding my situation for finishing a bathroom in my basement. I told him my current upstairs bathroom was originally run 12 years ago with a single 15 amp circuit. I asked if I could tie into the existing bathroom to light the new bathroom, and run a 20 amp circuit to the new bathroom for plugs, and tie into that 20 amp circuit to provide another outlet in the upstairs bathroom. He said that would be fine.

As for 2009, was there a new building code released in 2009? and therefore our city is under 2008 NEC for electrical and 2009 codes for building?

HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote