Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #16
Licensed electrician
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,585
Rewards Points: 4
Share |
Default

Outlets mounted on concrete walls


He is trying to fit two runs of cable in the 1/2" EMT. Without the sheath it fits easier.

__________________
Answers based on the National Electrical Code. Local amendments may apply. Check with your local building officials.
Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,546
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Outlets mounted on concrete walls


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
He is trying to fit two runs of cable in the 1/2" EMT. Without the sheath it fits easier.
You're right. That is his dilemma. Didn't catch that part.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fox Valley, WI
Posts: 202
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Outlets mounted on concrete walls


Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
You're right. That is his dilemma. Didn't catch that part.

Yep.....I want to run down to one set of outlets.....up to the next.......and i've already got the 1/2 inch cut and assembled....I think i'll go with stick's idea.....a central junction box and run out to the outlets with a single run of romex...
ryan50hrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #19
Electrical Contractor
 
jbfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Newnan GA
Posts: 5,792
Rewards Points: 16
Default

Outlets mounted on concrete walls


Use two pieces of conduit to each box.
__________________
Yes I am a Pirate, 200 years too late. "Jimmy Buffett"
jbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,546
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Outlets mounted on concrete walls


Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Use two pieces of conduit to each box.

Two sticks of 1/2" EMT to each box...another good option
Attached Thumbnails
Outlets mounted on concrete walls-72171-3-4.jpg  
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #21
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 5,090
Rewards Points: 2
Default

Outlets mounted on concrete walls


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Stickboy, check for a change re strapping NM right to the wall. Without looking it now needs protection.
I didn't look, but it always needed protection from physical damage, I just hardly ever see this an issue... so you are saying no matter what it needs to be protected when strapped to a wall? I find that a little obsure.

Last edited by stickboy1375; 08-27-2012 at 06:10 PM.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #22
Electrical Contractor
 
kbsparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Delmarva
Posts: 3,368
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Outlets mounted on concrete walls


I can fit 2 pieces of 12-2 into a single piece of "EMT. As long as you keep `em flat, no twists, kinks, etc, it goes right in!
__________________
-KB

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #23
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 5,090
Rewards Points: 2
Default

Outlets mounted on concrete walls


Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
I can fit 2 pieces of 12-2 into a single piece of "EMT. As long as you keep `em flat, no twists, kinks, etc, it goes right in!
it's not the fact that it doesn't physically fit, but a code issue.


Last edited by stickboy1375; 08-27-2012 at 06:50 PM.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fox Valley, WI
Posts: 202
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Outlets mounted on concrete walls


Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
I can fit 2 pieces of 12-2 into a single piece of "EMT. As long as you keep `em flat, no twists, kinks, etc, it goes right in!

I'm trying to stick to the letter of the code as much as possible......so I've been trying to watch things like box and conduit fill requirements.....

Hey Stick.....got a nice chart like that for box fill requirements???
ryan50hrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #25
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 5,090
Rewards Points: 2
Default

Outlets mounted on concrete walls


Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan50hrl View Post
I'm trying to stick to the letter of the code as much as possible......so I've been trying to watch things like box and conduit fill requirements.....

Hey Stick.....got a nice chart like that for box fill requirements???








http://ecmweb.com/code-basics/box-fill-calculations

Last edited by stickboy1375; 08-27-2012 at 09:17 PM.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #26
Licensed electrician
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,585
Rewards Points: 4
Default

Outlets mounted on concrete walls


Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
I didn't look, but it always needed protection from physical damage, I just hardly ever see this an issue... so you are saying no matter what it needs to be protected when strapped to a wall? I find that a little obsure.
From the 2011 334.15

(C) In Unfinished Basements and Crawl Spaces. Where
cable is run at angles with joists in unfinished basements
and crawl spaces, it shall be permissible to secure cables
not smaller than two 6 AWG or three 8 AWG conductors
directly to the lower edges of the joists. Smaller cables
shall be run either through bored holes in joists or on running
boards. Nonmetallic-sheathed cable installed on the
wall of an unfinished basement shall be permitted to be
installed in a listed conduit or tubing or shall be protected
in accordance with 300.4.
Conduit or tubing shall be provided
with a suitable insulating bushing or adapter at the
point the cable enters the raceway. The sheath of the
nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall extend through the conduit
or tubing and into the outlet or device box not less than
6 mm (1⁄4 in.). The cable shall be secured within 300 mm
(12 in.) of the point where the cable enters the conduit or
tubing. Metal conduit, tubing, and metal outlet boxes shall
be connected to an equipment grounding conductor complying
with the provisions of 250.86 and 250.148.
334.17 Through or Parallel to Framing Members. Types
NM, NMC, or NMS cable shall be protected in accordance
with 300.4 where installed through or parallel to framing
members. Grommets used as required in 300.4(B)(1)
shall remain in place and be listed for the purpose of
cable protection.

After reading this I may want to rethink my statement above. This just seems to say that conduit sleeves are allowed, but not required. Maybe the update class gave me the thought sleeves were required, and running boards were out.
__________________
Answers based on the National Electrical Code. Local amendments may apply. Check with your local building officials.
Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Port For This Useful Post:
stickboy1375 (08-27-2012)
Old 08-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #27
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 5,090
Rewards Points: 2
Default

Outlets mounted on concrete walls


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
From the 2011 334.15

(C) In Unfinished Basements and Crawl Spaces. Where
cable is run at angles with joists in unfinished basements
and crawl spaces, it shall be permissible to secure cables
not smaller than two 6 AWG or three 8 AWG conductors
directly to the lower edges of the joists. Smaller cables
shall be run either through bored holes in joists or on running
boards. Nonmetallic-sheathed cable installed on the
wall of an unfinished basement shall be permitted to be
installed in a listed conduit or tubing or shall be protected
in accordance with 300.4.
Conduit or tubing shall be provided
with a suitable insulating bushing or adapter at the
point the cable enters the raceway. The sheath of the
nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall extend through the conduit
or tubing and into the outlet or device box not less than
6 mm (1⁄4 in.). The cable shall be secured within 300 mm
(12 in.) of the point where the cable enters the conduit or
tubing. Metal conduit, tubing, and metal outlet boxes shall
be connected to an equipment grounding conductor complying
with the provisions of 250.86 and 250.148.
334.17 Through or Parallel to Framing Members. Types
NM, NMC, or NMS cable shall be protected in accordance
with 300.4 where installed through or parallel to framing
members. Grommets used as required in 300.4(B)(1)
shall remain in place and be listed for the purpose of
cable protection.

After reading this I may want to rethink my statement above. This just seems to say that conduit sleeves are allowed, but not required. Maybe the update class gave me the thought sleeves were required, and running boards were out.
I agree...
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #28
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fox Valley, WI
Posts: 202
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Outlets mounted on concrete walls


So how do I calculate how many can be in a box?
ryan50hrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #29
Licensed electrician
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,585
Rewards Points: 4
Default

Outlets mounted on concrete walls


plastic boxes will be labeled with the number of allowable conductors. For metal boxes you use Table 314.16(A).

Table 314.16(A) Metal Boxes
__________________
Answers based on the National Electrical Code. Local amendments may apply. Check with your local building officials.
Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #30
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 5,090
Rewards Points: 2
Default

Outlets mounted on concrete walls


Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan50hrl View Post
So how do I calculate how many can be in a box?
Read the entire link I posted below the pics I posted...

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Putting rigid foam on concrete walls...how to lay DriCore in this setup? ChaoticBliss Building & Construction 14 09-12-2012 05:02 PM
Attaching wood walls to concrete slab Ron55 Building & Construction 11 12-18-2011 07:08 PM
Bamboo on modified concrete pad jhanson Flooring 0 10-08-2011 11:58 AM
Insulating poured concrete basement walls Dude Building & Construction 0 03-03-2010 12:24 PM
Concrete slab with hot water heat- Moving walls skizsam Building & Construction 16 04-06-2009 02:08 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.