Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #1

Share |

Outlets and lighting in new room

Hello All...

My house was built/wired in the 50's and you can tell the old knob & tube guys did it because it's really not up to par and they've used the neutral (white) wire as hot in a lot of places. Of course they didn't mark those hot white wires with black tape either. The house isn't up to code with wiring and there are very few breakers to handle the entire house. They also didn't have as many electronic devices as we do nowadays.

I am working room by room to re-wire the house. I have a 200A service into a nicely sized box and I do have some room for 15A breaker expansion. My first room to be wired is a home gym that I'm making. I ripped out all of the old walls and electrical and have it framed up and ready for the new electrical. The old electrical was actually tapped off of an outlet in the upstairs bedroom. I have outlets at 16" from the finished floor and roughly every 6 ft down the wall. I also will need to put one outlet higher up on the wall to go behind a TV/Radio that I will be mounting. I am also going to be putting in a drop ceiling as high up as I can so I can retain the head room needed from some exercise equipment. To deal with the lighting I plan on using some sort of can lights that can be mounted up in between the joists. This should help me save some head space.

My first question is, is there a height limit to the outlet that I need to put higher for the TV/Radio? My walls are just under 8'. I read somewhere about not going over 6' with an outlet but I wasn't sure if that was residential or not.

Second, do I need to follow the 6' for an outlet rule? The one wall has two outlets because of this, but I don't even need one outlet along that wall.

Third question, what's the height requirement for the switch box? 48" seems a little low to me as that's what I was reading elsewhere for the max height. That's seems to be ADA code however.

Last question, can I put all of this onto one 15A circuit? There should be 6 outlets and anywhere from 6 - 10 of the can lights depending which ones I get and placement. Someone had told me a general rule is no more than 12 "devices" on a 15A circuit. My question comes because of the outlets. They won't all be used at the same time, and I'm assuming I'd be using 2-3 of them at the same time maximum. 80% rule for a 15A circuit is 1440 watts. Do I need to follow this calculation?

Thanks!

jgrohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

In no particular order. Under the NEC there is no limit to the number of devices on a circuit. In your case I would do a 20 amp receptacle circuit and another 15 amp lighting circuit. Treadmills can take a 20 amp circuit by themselves. You do not need to only allow for the 80% loading since the load is not continous. It is a good idea tho.

The height limit I believe you are asking about is that receptacles above 5 1/2' do not count in the 6/12 spacing requirements. Receptacles need to be within 6' left and right of the entrance to the room and then no more than 12' between.

Match the switch height to whatever is upstairs.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes we have a treadmill to put in the gym already. I can check the power requirements on it but I think it's a normal NEMA5-15 plug on it.

I mixed up when talking about the 6' for outlets. I meant 12' but really saying that's for not having a cord longer than 6' and being able to reach either outlet. Do I need to follow that and put outlets throughout the room even if they are not needed?

My other 6' outlet talk was about the height. Can I put one at any height for the TV/Radio? or am I limited there? I know that one doesn't apply to the 12' width rule.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

Since you are now finishing the room the 6/12 would be needed, even if you don't need one there. Don't forget any wall space 24" or greater needs a receptacle also.

The high receptacle for the TV is fine. Use a recessed receptacle or one of the TV boxes from Arlington. aifittings.com
Old 06-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #5

I don't know what year NEC applies where you are but where I am, all of the outlets require AFCI. That's the receptacles and the lights. All of the receptacles are required to be tamper resistant.
Tigerloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #6

I checked our treadmill and it's a NEMA5-15 plug. Although, I'll probably do what you said with a separate 20A circuit for the outlets. Who knows if we'll get a new treadmill or not down the road. While I'm wiring now it's only the difference of 14/2 to 12/2 and some 20A outlets and breaker, everything else is the same; may as well do it now.

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:21 PM   #7

I'm in Pennsylvania and I'm unaware of any reg's of using AFCI's for this room. I could be wrong though.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #8
Licensed electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrohol View Post
I'm in Pennsylvania and I'm unaware of any reg's of using AFCI's for this room. I could be wrong though.
Call your building officials to verify.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:26 PM   #9

I'm assuming you mean the AFCI breaker?
Old 06-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
Licensed electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrohol View Post
I'm assuming you mean the AFCI breaker?
Yes..