DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

outlets in garage and exterior outlet stopped working

9K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  BigGuy01 
#1 ·
I have 3 outlets that stopped working overnight. 2 are in the garage and 1 is outside. The breaker that turns them on and off is on and working because everything else that is on that breaker is on and working. Does anyone have any idea of what could be wrong?

#2 ·
Do they have buttons between the outlet plug ins?

http://www.instructables.com/image/FKYS79PI9GEZR7BRUA/Replacing-a-GFCI-Outlet.jpg

If so, push the button to reset the outlet, on each outlet. :thumbsup:

A lot of garage outlets are usually GFCI, same with outlets that are outdoors as well. Because of machinery, powertools, etc. that get plugged in. They use GFCI to prevent blowing your houses breaker. so instead they just blow their own breakers.

#4 · (Edited)
no they don't, they are just your regular plug.
So you have a live feed to each outlet, but when you plug something into either outlet, they aren't powering what you plugged in, correct?

If so, have you removed the outlet cover (unplug anything/everything beforehand) and checked each wire connected to them?

Also if I may ask, what was going on the night they all went "dead"? Where you using powertools or anything?

Cut the power to your garage, and the outside outlets, and check the wires for breaks/rips/melted covering etc.

If wires are fine, take a digital multi-meter, or a volt-meter, cover all but one outlet, and turn power back on, and determine if power is even being supplied to the wires. This will determine if the wires are even hot. If they aren't, then it's the breaker itself.

If the wires are hot, but the outlets just aren't getting power, but the outlets themselves are hooked up properly, turn power back off, (preferably the MAIN power for safety purposes, even if it's not needed, cut ALL power) replace the outlets.

#5 ·
I put my tester in them and they have no power.

I have not taken the covers off yet.

There was nothing plugged in them overnight. I went to plug in my radio and weedeater charger and they weren't working. so I checked to make sure they had power and they didn't. So then I went and checked the breaker and it was on. I just found out today which one it is.

#6 · (Edited)
First thing I'd do, is cut power, and remove the covers, and look at the wires, and determine if they are properly connected/properly wired. If so, you need to determine if the wires themselves are recieving power. you can do this by renting a voltmeter with a probe that you can place on a wire to determine if it's live. If the wires are live, (receiving power) but the outlets are not powered, then you should replace the outlets. If the wires are not being powered, with the breaker on, then it's the breaker itself.

if ti's the breaker itself, just call an Licensed Electrician. And have them fix your breaker.

ALSO

Make sure there is no part of any exposed wiring (wire with casing removed) touching the bottom or sides of the outlets, unless they are the spots they are supposed to touch. Electricity vibrates, overtime wires can shake loose if they are old enough, or weren't installed tightly enough. Basically with power OFF (ALL POWER CUT OFF) you should be able to have outlet in hand, and pull on the cord with decent force, and nothing comes loose or disconnects. That determines if the wires are secured tightly enough.

WARNING DO NOT HANDLE ELECTRICAL OUTLETS UNLESS POWER IS COMPLETELY CUT OFF.

EDIT

Try resetting the breaker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.