Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2008, 10:08 AM   #1

Share |

Outlets in cabinets(micro, DW, Disposal, under cab lighting)

I have pulled all my wire for my kitchen remodel, but am trying to figure out to do with the wires for the dishwasher, garbage disposal, and microwave.

I was planning on installing two outlets under the sink cabinet and then plug in the dishwasher and garbage disposal there. When I put my dry wall in, do i just drill a hole in the wall, pull the cable through, then run this into the cabinet in a pvc pipe into the outlet?

I am planning on installing an undermount microwave, and was planning on doing the same thing, but putting the outlet in the cabinet above the micro. thoughts?

Also, as far as under the cab lighting goes. I was planning on hardwiring this. Where should the junction between the lights and the supply wire take place? In a junction box below the cabinets?

DanBress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

I usually terminate the dishwasher and disposal in the same outlet, just half switched. If you use two separate receptacles, your inspector may require them to be singles, so no other device can be plugged in.

In the microwave, I'd leave the wire coming out of the sheetrock, and the cabinet guy can drill a hole for it in the cabinet above. I'd then cut the receptacle in, or even surface mount a metal 1900 box.

With undercabinet lights, I usually put the junction box in the attic. Here you want to watch for box fill if you have alot of lights. But either way, you want to have it out of sight but still accessible.

InPhase277

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 10:38 AM   #3

The overhead microwaves that I've installed have the cord on top of the microwave. A template is included for upper cabinet, holes are needed for the cord and mounting screws.
adave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #4

I am planning on doing two singles for my DW and disposal.

so, for each of these. I am going to have the wire coming out of a hole in the sheet rock(which will ultimately be covered by the cabinet). Then inside the cabinet I will have outlets(for the microwave, DW, and disposal), and some kind of junction box where the under cabinet lights are hardwired into the supply wires.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:13 PM   #5
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBress View Post
I have pulled all my wire for my kitchen remodel, but am trying to figure out to do with the wires for the dishwasher, garbage disposal, and microwave.

I was planning on installing two outlets under the sink cabinet and then plug in the dishwasher and garbage disposal there. When I put my dry wall in, do i just drill a hole in the wall, pull the cable through, then run this into the cabinet in a pvc pipe into the outlet?
I just install the box before the rock goes up, why screw around with it after the fact?
Quote:
I am planning on installing an undermount microwave, and was planning on doing the same thing, but putting the outlet in the cabinet above the micro. thoughts?
The receptacle gets installed in the upper cabinet, just rough in a box like normal...
Quote:
Also, as far as under the cab lighting goes. I was planning on hardwiring this. Where should the junction between the lights and the supply wire take place? In a junction box below the cabinets?
I only like 2 cables at each fixture so I just come out of the switch box and daisy chain all the lights... always leave the rough in wires a touch higher then the bottom of the upper, this way you can just notch the sheetrock when it comes time to install the cabinets...
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 03:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
I just install the box before the rock goes up, why screw around with it after the fact?
Chris, thanks. Do install the box in the rock, or outside of the rock? The way i envisioned this working was: a PVC gang box that was totall inside the cabinet, with the supply wire coming in through a hole in the cabinet(that went inside the rock).

Quote:
The receptacle gets installed in the upper cabinet, just rough in a box like normal...

Again, is the box inside the cabinet, or inside the wall? Are you saying rough the box in the wall(if so, why)? or leave it dangling outside of the wall?
Old 03-22-2008, 08:02 PM   #7
Electrician

Quote:
Chris, thanks. Do install the box in the rock, or outside of the rock? The way i envisioned this working was: a PVC gang box that was totall inside the cabinet, with the supply wire coming in through a hole in the cabinet(that went inside the rock).

Again, is the box inside the cabinet, or inside the wall? Are you saying rough the box in the wall(if so, why)? or leave it dangling outside of the wall?

If the sheetrock is not installed, just install a a box like you normally would, then when you install your cabinets you just make the appropriate cut out... this way your receptacle is flush with the finished cabinet...
Old 03-22-2008, 08:40 PM   #8
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
If the sheetrock is not installed, just install a a box like you normally would, then when you install your cabinets you just make the appropriate cut out... this way your receptacle is flush with the finished cabinet...
I agree... if you are doing your own cabinets. But working on many tract homes, I've learned that it is almost always easier to leave a wire sticking out and cut the box in yourself. I haven't found too many residential cabinet guys that were worth dirt they stand on when it comes to reliably cutting out for device boxes.

InPhase277
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:42 PM   #9
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
I agree... if you are doing your own cabinets. But working on many tract homes, I've learned that it is almost always easier to leave a wire sticking out and cut the box in yourself. I haven't found too many residential cabinet guys that were worth dirt they stand on when it comes to reliably cutting out for device boxes.

InPhase277
I've never had a problem, but I dont do tract homes either... so I guess its hit or miss... I can tell you I hate the extra work...
Old 08-17-2008, 04:59 PM   #10

Quote:
I only like 2 cables at each fixture so I just come out of the switch box and daisy chain all the lights... always leave the rough in wires a touch higher then the bottom of the upper [cabinet], this way you can just notch the sheetrock when it comes time to install the cabinets...
Just so I understand, when you are daisy-chaining this way, is there a junction box at each middle-of-run fixture location? Or does the fixture itself end up serving as the junction box?

slapdash is offline   Reply With Quote