Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #1

Share |

Outlets on both sides of wall? and height question

I want to put a new circuit with first outlet in a small 3'x3' storage closet, because I am putting a few whole-house audio equipment in there, are there any height restriction on this?

On the outside of the closet wall in the same cavity, it's the kitchen and I want another outlet from the same circuit at the above counter height, (so would be considered an extra small appliance circuit) and then exiting the cavity into the attic and go to a final outlet for the microwave. Do you see any problems with this plan?

Just wondering, if you are on either side of the wall how do you know if you are drilling a hole you are not hitting the box on the other side of the wall? But I guess the situation is not much different than light switches on the other side of the wall??

Does have the microwave in the same circuit cause problems with stereo amplifiers and a small LCD TV in the kitchen?

Thanks

DIYGST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:08 PM   #2

You can't have the receptacle in the closet on the same circuit as the microwave or the counter receptacle.

joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #3

I want to put a new circuit with first outlet in a small 3'x3' storage closet, because I am putting a few whole-house audio equipment in there, are there any height restriction on this?

no

On the outside of the closet wall in the same cavity, it's the kitchen and I want another outlet from the same circuit at the above counter height, (so would be considered an extra small appliance circuit) and then exiting the cavity into the attic and go to a final outlet for the microwave. Do you see any problems with this plan?

Technically the audio recep in the closet is against code. I'm not saying I wouldn't do it. The micro is a big draw, up to 10-12 amps but If it sits on the counter, it's legal.

Just wondering, if you are on either side of the wall how do you know if you are drilling a hole you are not hitting the box on the other side of the wall?

Measuring tape.

Does have the microwave in the same circuit cause problems with stereo amplifiers and a small LCD TV in the kitchen?

Not likely. I'd run a new micro circuit unless there were serious physical barriers.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:19 PM   #4

just curios on this 220/221.

Could he run a 12/3 from two new breakers to two new outlets like he wants and use each leg as its own circuit but have the same common ground?
II Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #5

No height restrictions on outlets

If you close off the audio equipment from the closet & have it only open to the kitchen it can be served by the small appliance circuit
Otherwise it can't be on the same circuit. Small kitchen circuits are not allowed to leave the kitchen, period

Is the Microwave built in? My counter top model is 1100 watts = 9amps, that's almost 1/2 the small appliance circuit
I wouldn't put all that on one circuit

I wouldn't run a multiwire circuit & split it between the closet & kitchen. Depending upon the microwave pull I'd run a circuit to the closet & another to the microwave

The problem is kicking out a breaker. Kitchen appliances take a lot of power, that's why they are restricted to the kitchen only

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 02-07-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:34 PM   #6

The micro is one of those that mounts under a cabinet but not a over the range. But it's still plug in.

Thanks 220/221 What is against code against the receptacle, is it the location or is it my use of the SA circuit A lot of audiophiles do it all the time?

I am running out of circuits breaker room that is why I am trying to get this to work with 1 circuit, the breaker is 20 Amp on 12 Gauge, and I know the MW only draws 1100W. Still a lot of amps to spare to run a small TV and a receiver.

The closet is technically in the rectangle of the kitchen.. it's like a pantry kind of except it's got 4 walls that blocks your view.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:34 PM   #7

Also, the original 2 small appliance circuits in my house goes on to regular height receptacles in living room, (kitchen and living room = 500 sq ft), built in early 80s. That's why I thought the SA circuits can go to adjacent "rooms", or is it because it there is no walls they are considered the same room?"
Old 02-08-2009, 01:25 PM   #8

So now, for the closet's receptacle, I am considering tapping off the garage opener circuit which is a 20Amp and also hardwire to 2 attic fans. The opener should be less than 1 HP and I think draws 750W at most, I think it's only 1/2 HP though. Attic fan should be 400W, each..

safe?
Old 02-08-2009, 04:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Could he run a 12/3 from two new breakers to two new outlets like he wants and use each leg as its own circuit but have the same common ground?

By ground, I assume you mean neutral.

Sure, it's done all the time. A) Neutral connection/splice must be bulletproof where they split and B) 2008 code says to put the circuits on a 2 pole breaker.

Quote:
is it the location or is it my use of the SA circuit
Location. If you stack your audio equipment on the kitchen counter, you are good . SA circuit can do the fridge and gas range. If your micro is mounted, it needs a circuit. Sitting on the ctop or shelf, no.

Quote:
it's like a pantry kind of except it's got 4 walls that blocks your view.
Well then, I guess my bedroom is in my garage

People abuse tha SA rule all the time, usually for undercabinet lights

I don't care where you pull power from, just make good connections inside accessible jboxes and I'll be happy.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:38 PM   #10
Licensed Electrical Cont.

NO WAY I'd share a circuit with a microwave. My micro plays havoc with my UC radio in the kitchen.
And unless this is literally a pantry opening into the kitchen you by code cannot share the circuit. I don't care WHO would do it, I would NOT.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #11

I would just run a new circuit...those attic fans and garage door opener may cause interference with your equipment.

Thats just me.

rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote