DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

# of outlets in a bathroom

5K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  Scuba_Dave 
#1 ·
Is there a required amount of outlets required within a large bathroom like with a kitchen? If not, does anyone see any reason to include an extra outlet aside from the ones near a vanity? Thanks!

Shane

#2 ·
Only 1 outlet is required as far as I know
My small bathroom has 2 outlets - night light & radio take up one
So the 2nd one is for razor, hair dryer etc

My bigger bathroom has 3 outlets
2 near the sink - again a night light takes one spot
a 3rd outlet is on another wall near the window
Christmas a window candle gets plugged in
Summer a window fan

In an emergency a small heater could be plugged in

#3 ·
A receptacle is required within 3' of the outside edge of a sink basin. A single receptacle between two bowls could satisfy this requirement. You may want one for each basin. The Code requirement is only the minimum.

#19 ·
News to me - there's a minimum requirement for outlets? Someone please inform Arkansas. I've actually lived in 3 homes that had none - I've had to install them either in with the lighting or in with a switch.

Learn something new everyday.

#29 ·
I'm not a sparky, but that is really easy to find. You need one within 3' of each sink bowl, unless it is within 3' of both bowls: "It should be noted that while 210.52(D) only requires one 15A or 20A, 125V receptacle within 3 ft of each sink in the bathroom, the requirement in 210.8(A)(1), which calls GFCI protection of receptacles in dwelling unit bathrooms, would apply to all 15A and 20A, 125V receptacles in a dwelling unit bathroom, and GFCI protection must be provided for any such receptacle installed there. When combined with the rule of 406.11, any 15A or 20A, 125V-rated receptacle installed in a dwelling unit bathroom would have to be GFCI protected and be a listed tamper-resistant receptacle." From: http://ecmweb.com/nec/whats_wrong_here/whats_wrong_040810/index1.html

And: http://books.google.com/books?id=m6RGS6c9zI8C&pg=PA235&lpg=PA235&dq=phone+line+near+ac+wires&source=bl&ots=4c9xqffIJ9&sig=rwCGacP_3iUz4drMbdaFGC5UltU&hl=en&ei=pt6eSpHbDoLssQOhjagj&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1#v=onepage&q=bathroom%20sink%20recepticles&f=false

Be safe, Gary

#31 ·
I am putting in a single sink, 37" wide countertop. Is it overkill to put an outlet on each side of the sink, so someone can use a hairdryer with either hand and not have the wire draped over the sink?

I am also puttin ga 33" wide area with the toilet. I figured I could put an outlet about a foot up from the floor near the toilet, for the possibility of a towel warmer at some point. Think that's a bad idea (outlet in close proximity to the toilet)? I mean...my aim's pretty good, but you never know who might be in there :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.