Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #1

Share |
Angry

Outlet trouble

Hi,
I am having a problem with the outlet in my house. When I plug my hair dryer (same one I've always used) into the outlet in my bathroom, it does not work. It also doesn't work in several other outlets around the house. I tossed it in the trash & got out the spare dryer only to find that it did not work either. Then I realized that both dryers do work in some of the outlets around the house. I have tried resetting the GFCI/GFI (not sure what to call them) on the hairdryers and in every outlet of that type in the bathrooms, kitchen, and garage. In the past when this has happened a couple times, it has always been remedied by resetting the one in the garage. Also, other appliances will work when plugged into the outlets--it just seems to be the dryers that have the GF-whatever built into the cord.
Please help so I don't have to spend the $$ for an electrician to come out if it's an easy fix!
Thank-you!
Stacey

sraimundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:27 PM   #2

Outlet trouble

Sounds like you might of tripped a breaker. Go into your panel and look for a tripped breaker

dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:49 PM   #3

Outlet trouble

Do the dryers work on some of your other outlets or none of your outlets?
Nevermind I read your post again!! They work in some.

Last edited by Plumbvoltage; 03-02-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Plumbvoltage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:25 PM   #4

Outlet trouble

Does one hair dryer consistently trip a GFCI or trip a breakerr? If so there is a defect in it.

I have examined, dissected, and even repaired hair dryers with various defects including cord conductors broken just where they enter the plug or enter the body of the hair dryer. In the latter case, operation is erratic.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:43 PM   #5

Outlet trouble

Does a lamp work in that outlet?
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Bocolo

Outlet trouble

He says other equipment works on the outlet, as if the hair dryer has a built in fuse.
Bocolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:58 AM   #7

Outlet trouble

Thanks for all of you replies so far! I'll answer your questions & try to clarify some things:

First, the two bathroom outlets have a sticker on them that read "GFCI protected", but do not actually have the test/reset buttons on them. The two over my kitchen counter & the one in the garage do have the buttons. I have pushed reset on all of them, to no avail.

Yes, a lamp, the humidifier, laptop work in all of the outlets where the hair dryers do not.

The hair dryers do work in some of the outlets throughout the house. I think it's only the ones that are GFCIs or say GFCI protected that they do not work in. And the GFCI built into the dryer cord is not tripped when I plug it in--anywhere.

The breaker is not tripped, although I tried turning it off & back on anyway.
sraimundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #8

Outlet trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraimundo View Post
Thanks for all of you replies so far! I'll answer your questions & try to clarify some things:

First, the two bathroom outlets have a sticker on them that read "GFCI protected", but do not actually have the test/reset buttons on them. The two over my kitchen counter & the one in the garage do have the buttons. I have pushed reset on all of them, to no avail.

Yes, a lamp, the humidifier, laptop work in all of the outlets where the hair dryers do not.

The hair dryers do work in some of the outlets throughout the house. I think it's only the ones that are GFCIs or say GFCI protected that they do not work in. And the GFCI built into the dryer cord is not tripped when I plug it in--anywhere.

The breaker is not tripped, although I tried turning it off & back on anyway.
Depending on your skill level you might want to take the cover plate off the GFCIs and check with a tester that the load terminals on the GFCIs are actually supplying voltage. Don't use a neon tester.

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote