Outlet Trim Plate Spacer? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Outlet Trim Plate Spacer?

I am trying to find a spacer that will fit between the face of the drywall and the back of the outlet trim plate. Due to the depth confines of the area we needed to mount the switch, and the fact that is a 3-in-1 switch with myriad wires, the switch protrudes past the usual spot as shown in the attached photo. Does anyone know of a spacer that exists to fill the 11/16 gap between the face of the drywall and the back of the outlet cover. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Outlet Trim Plate Spacer?-outlet-cover-spacer.jpg  

Advertisement

azsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #2

Sorry, not sure why the server inserted the photo 90 degrees off!

Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 11:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 156

You can use something like a Wiremold extension avai;ab;e at the big box stores.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051
bcgfdc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #4
"So I Re-Wired It"

Rewards Points: 250

Myriad wires? Are you familiar with box fill limitations?
I would like to see a photo behind the switch.
frenchelectrican (08-06-2012), gregzoll (08-06-2012), k_buz (08-05-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 11:36 PM   #5
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

don't need to see a photo, you can see from the existing picture how everythings jammed in. I suspect way too many wires in there.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #6

bcgfdc3:
Thanks for the info on the wiremold extensions. I will check those out.

MisterZ:
The switch was professionally wired however a shallow 1 gang box was used because of space confines, as I previously described. The wiring is perfectly fine. Thanks for your concern
Old 08-05-2012, 11:46 PM   #7

Holy Smokes... let me reiterate...

"Due to the depth confines of the area we needed to mount the switch, and the fact that is a 3-in-1 switch with myriad wires, the switch protrudes past the usual spot as shown in the attached photo."

It is a 3-in-1 switch, not a 3-way switch. Therefore there are more wires into the box. It was wired by a professional electrician to code standards. As there was less than 1 1/4" of space from the stud to the inside face of the drywall, a shallow box was used (which I believe I stated more than once).

Thanks to those of you who actually gave me useful info and advice. To the rest, don't waste your time trying to be smart asses. Go do something constructive.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #8
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsmokey View Post
Holy Smokes... let me reiterate...

"Due to the depth confines of the area we needed to mount the switch, and the fact that is a 3-in-1 switch with myriad wires, the switch protrudes past the usual spot as shown in the attached photo."

It is a 3-in-1 switch, not a 3-way switch. Therefore there are more wires into the box. It was wired by a professional electrician to code standards. As there was less than 1 1/4" of space from the stud to the inside face of the drywall, a shallow box was used (which I believe I stated more than once).

Thanks to those of you who actually gave me useful info and advice. To the rest, don't waste your time trying to be smart asses. Go do something constructive.
so it's a shallow box, with probably 6 to 8 wires plus connections, plus device
THIS IS NOT TO CODE. so before calling everyone out you should maybe check that your professional did a professional job.

your professional probably should have used a larger 1 deep box with plaster ring.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.

Last edited by andrew79; 08-05-2012 at 11:52 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to andrew79 For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (08-06-2012), gregzoll (08-06-2012), Jim Port (08-06-2012), MisterZ (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #9
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

A shallow single gang box would never be legal with the device and 3 switches, but looking closely at the pic I think its a 4x4x1.5" with a 1/2" plaster ring, which would give you 15 #14's or 12 #12's. Subtract the device and the grounds and you are looking at 12 14's or 9 12's which would be adequate for the typical way to wire it.

I would like to see the NEC update their wirefill limitations based on the number of switches/receptacles or the depth of the device rather than the number of yolks.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
andrew79 (08-06-2012), MisterZ (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 12:03 AM   #10

I live in the US, not Canada. I am sure you guys North of the Arctic Circle do thing a bit different.

So far bcgfdc3 has been the only one with useful advice. Thanks, I appreciate it.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:12 AM   #11
Master Electrician

Quote:
bcgfdc3:
Thanks for the info on the wiremold extensions. I will check those out.

MisterZ:
The switch was professionally wired however a shallow 1 gang box was used because of space confines, as I previously described. The wiring is perfectly fine. Thanks for your concern
Quote:
I live in the US, not Canada. I am sure you guys North of the Arctic Circle do thing a bit different.

So far bcgfdc3 has been the only one with useful advice. Thanks, I appreciate it.
You do realize that i was the last one to say anything, and the previous comments came from people in the u.s. I'm not sure how taking a shot at the country i live in has any bearing on the question you asked. If indeed it is a 4 inch square with plaster ring as i stated before should have been used then your fine. If it's a shallow single gang box as you state then whether you live in the states or "north of the arctic circle" your still in violation of the code.
The Following User Says Thank You to andrew79 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 12:15 AM   #12
"So I Re-Wired It"

Rewards Points: 250

Table 314.16 in the US National Electric Code shows box fill limitations.
A non-metallic box with 22.8 cubic in. And 14awg has a max capacity of 11 conductors.

Look it up, do your calculations. You may or may not be over max fill.
In any case i have, nor any electrician i know, installed a switch that needed to be jammed in.

Please do not come here, ask questioms, and curse good people trying to keep your house from danger.
frenchelectrican (08-06-2012), gregzoll (08-06-2012), Jim Port (08-06-2012), rjniles (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #13
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

You may not like my reply in here but why not change that from single gang box to two gang box that will give you a bit more room and there is a oldwork two gang box that can fit in there between the studs in the wall.

That I will run that way instead try to jam like that. That part I will genrally try to advoid it much as possible there is too many thing can go wrong with packed boxes.

Before you give us a remark we the electricians we have see some of more crazy stuff jammed in the box and we know what it have to be done properly.

Merci,
Marc
gregzoll (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #14
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Quote:

May want to retract that. Most commenting on poor workmanship, includes myself are also in the U.S..

I would have to add, there is no way the person that did that work, is a licensed professional electrician. Looks more like work of a amateur or handyman.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Jim Port (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #15
Lic Electrical Inspector

Rewards Points: 1,102

Advertisement

Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote