Outlet-Switch Question - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2009, 12:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Outlet-Switch question

Hello all, I have a questions regarding some outlets and switches around my house. Specifically, I have two wall switches around the house that do not seem to control anything. They are in the living room and family room. In each room, it does appear that an outlet is set up to be controlled by the wall switch. I would like to get these working so that I can control a few lamps by the switch. What could be happening here? Is it just a coincidence that the outlet are wired that way? Or has the connection for some reason been lost in these two rooms? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement

droopdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
Outlet-Switch question

Take the outlet out and see how many wires you have in there, If You have a 3 wire with a red and black.white ground. then the tab was prob not broke to seperate them from the switch this pic shows the tab

Take needle nose or something and break off tab.then you will end up with this Just on the hot side

Advertisement

300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:21 PM   #3

Outlet-Switch question

Wow, I am not even home and yet I think you may be on to something. I actually changed out all of the outlets a couple of months back (from cream color to white) and at that time, I noticed that some of the outlets had two wires and some had three. If recall correctly, the two that do not work have three wires while the ones that do work (after the I switched them) have only two wires. Does this make sense?

Can wait to get home to check it out. Also, I assume I should cut the tab between whichever side has the two wires correct?

BTW, if my memory is indeed correct (and some have two wires while other have three), why is that? Just wondering. Thanks.

Last edited by droopdog7; 12-15-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:42 PM   #4

Outlet-Switch question

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopdog7 View Post
Wow, I am not even home and yet I think you may be on to something. I actually changed out all of the outlets a couple of months back (from cream color to white) and at that time, I noticed that some of the outlets had two wires and some had three. If recall correctly, the two that do not work have three wires while the ones that do work (after the I switched them) have only two wires. Does this make sense?

Can wait to get home to check it out. Also, I assume I should cut the tab between whichever side has the two wires correct?

BTW, if my memory is indeed correct (and some have two wires while other have three), why is that? Just wondering. Thanks.
the ones thet have two wires sre feeding the other outlets that are not switched if they are black pigtail them and hook one to one side of the hot and the other one hopefully red is your switch rec on the other hot so you need to break that tab DONT BREAK THE TAB ON THE NEUTRAL SIDE LEAVE THAT ONE ALONE. If you have prob when you get home maybe you can take a pic of the wires in box and we can help more.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via Yahoo to Magnettica

Outlet-Switch question

Sometimes those switched receptacles are half hot, half switched.

Try this when you get home or check your work for what 300zx suggested.

3-wire switched receptacles, or 2-wire switched receptacles, both accomplish the same thing.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:20 AM   #6

Outlet-Switch question

Well I'll be darned. It worked! Problem solved in under 10 minutes. Really appreciate your help fellas.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:52 AM   #7

Outlet-Switch question

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopdog7 View Post
Well I'll be darned. It worked! Problem solved in under 10 minutes. Really appreciate your help fellas.
Glad it worked out for you.

Advertisement