DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Outlet in space above suspended ceiling?

12K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  gregzoll 
#1 ·
Is it acceptable to put an outlet in a suspended ceiling space? I want to house my network modem and wireless router up there. I was thinking of putting a shelf between two studs to hold the equipment and wiring an outlet from the panel to the shelf with flex conduit, a metal box, and thwn wire. Is there anything in that plan, as described, that would violate NEC?

#12 ·
I am sorry Greg, but the information given should be as correct and in compliance with the codes. Just because it is done does not mean it is correct or that the posters should not be given correct information. Continued poor practices do make it right.

#17 ·
gregzoll said:
Actually most store fronts are closed space between the actual roof and suspended ceilings. Most times you have another ceiling between the suspended ceiling and roof. As for Flame rated cable, yes it should be. But majority of times if you were to look up there. They are not.
In my experience I have rarely if ever encountered another ceiling between the roof and suspended ceiling.

Reactions: mpoulton and HIVOLT
#18 ·
You see that a lot in my area. Just about every office building downtown, has a real ceiling above the false ceiling.

As for what the OP is doing. Getting a locking cabinet for the equipment is the best thing. Using an Access Point with a POE (Power Over Ethernet) Injector, so they can mount the unit on the tile (one that looks like a smoke detector, so no one is the wiser), would be the best way for WiFi.

#11 ·
Code compliant never comes to mind, to those who do this kind of stuff. If you have ever been up in the false ceiling of most Radio Shacks still in operation. It would surprise you, the rat's nest up there.

Same with a lot of offices. Hospitals have all kinds of network equipment up in their drop ceilings, that use standard cords to connect them to outlets.

#4 ·
I would not put any networking gear up in the ceiling. Who wants to have to always climb a ladder, when it comes time to pull the plug on the equipment and plug it back in. Better to put it in the utility room, where your furnace & Water heater is, or Laundry room if you have one.

#7 ·
Well, the circuit breaker would haveb been the reset switch but I guess my idea won't work out. I was thinking of putting the network equipment and NAS up there for security so burglars couldn't find it. The NAS is one of multiple NVRs on my surveillance system. I do have other options for hiding it, though.

#6 ·
Busman has it right: You can install a receptacle up there, but you can't plug any normal device into it since the cord is prohibited. So your networking gear would be allowable only if it used "wall wart" adapters or if the cords were made out of MC cable or something similar that is allowed above the ceiling.

#13 ·
Jim, the majority of store owners and home owners that do what the OP is wanting to do. Code never comes to mind. They just figure that they are doing it how they believe it looks good for appearance sake.

Nothing will change these practices, no matter how hard you try.

#14 ·
All code considerations aside, with the number of times I've had to reset my router today, I'd hate to have it installed somewhere inaccessible. There's also the issue of heat to consider.

And if we're going to get technical, I thought the NEC's authority ended at the plug end. Therefore wouldn't it have no actual authority over the "validity" of anything plugged into the outlet?

#15 ·
Suspended ceilings above a radio shack are different than suspended ceilings in home. In the RS they are most likely part of the ventilation system and need to be flame rated cabling. That is not the case in most homes. In a home it is just space not part of the ventilation system.

#16 ·
Actually most store fronts are closed space between the actual roof and suspended ceilings. Most times you have another ceiling between the suspended ceiling and roof.

As for Flame rated cable, yes it should be. But majority of times if you were to look up there. They are not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.