DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Outlet install in Cabinet?

6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  jamiedolan 
#1 ·
Is it ok - code wise, to install an outlet inside a cabinet? Is there anything special I need to be aware of?

For example, putting an outlet in a permanently installed cabinet that a computer sits in. (when I say in, I mean, in the wall cutting through the side / or back of the cabinet - not a surface mount) Or putting an outlet inside a build in cabinet in the bathroom for an electric tooth brush charger.

Thanks
Jamie

#5 ·
Sure, you can definately do it.

A receptacle inside a cabinet will not "count" toward the required receptacles for the counter space in a kitchen or bath, or in a room of any other sort.

In a bathroom, the receptacle must be GFCI protected...No exceptions.

Here's one I did in my bathroom, in addition to the two wall receptacles serving the two sinks. It is for plugging in my electric shaver without cluttering up the countertop. The picture was taken before the cabinet door was installed. Nice feature!!!

Attachments

#6 ·
Thanks everyone for the information.

I didn't even think of the microwave outlet (which I happen to have one of that I am going to replace as part of my kitchen remodel).

:)

I'm looking forward to freeing up some counter space in the bathroom by moving the chargers to the cabinet.

Thanks again

Jamie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.