Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2010, 05:33 AM   #1

Share |
Question

outlet for flat tv new construction

Is there any way to know where to install an outlet for a flat panel tv without the tv or a mounting bracket? i am remodeling and will be purchasing 2 flat panel tv's and would like to have outlets already in place and cables run before i purchase them. i can't afford to buy the tv's and mounts now and would like to complete all construction.

mang0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:56 AM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Run a loop of cable in a couple of stud bays in the approximate location of the TV. Leave it disconnected and labeled at both ends. After you decide where the mount is going, cut into the wall, pull out the loop and install an old work box.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:11 AM   #3

^^ like what he said, or just actually install the boxes. I would also think about any other type of cableing like hdmi or what ever you may use and install that at the same time. i would also think about putting a 2 x 10 between the suds where you may want the tv. this way you will have a solid mounting surface to mount the tv to.
baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:37 AM   #4

i like the idea of running wire near the area where i will install my box. sometimes the simplest solutions are overlooked.
baum, i can't install the boxes because i am afraid they will interfere with the mount or put them in a place where they will be seen. i will definitely look into seeing what other cables i will need to run before i cover my walls.

thanx, y'all
mang0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:04 AM   #5
A "Handy Husband"

As far as the other cables are concerned: assuming you have a cabinet below the TV for the DVD, cable box, etc. It is pretty easy to cut in an old work box (with the back cut off) behind the TV and another below it. Fish in the wires you need. I would run the RG-6 cable you need for cable or satellite to the location(s) of the TV. You also should consider running CAT 5/6 cable for a wired connection to your router. The RG-6 and the CAT 5/6 cables are easy to run after construction if you are over an unfinished basement
Old 10-01-2010, 11:48 PM   #6
Wire Chewer

You can check monoprice for the stands, and see what the footprint on the wall is, in average, then just make sure you put the outlet below or above where you want to put it. If you are getting a big enough TV you have plenty of play where you can put it and still have it hidden. You could also run a big conduit hole that just goes to the ground, then fish everything through there once you get the TV.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Squirrel For This Useful Post:
mang0 (10-04-2010)