DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Outlet controlled by switch

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Shardi 
#1 ·
I have an outlet that is controlled by a wall switch and I replaced the switch and outlet so that the color matched the room since I painted. I put all the wires in the same place on the new switch and outlet but now the switch does not work - the outlet has power no matter if the switch is on or off.

Any help would be appreciated:)

#3 ·
Shardi, If you remove the receptacle and look on the side where the black and (possibly) red wire is, you will see a bridge between the two terminals. It is usually brass and has a raised part. Take some needlenose pliers to the raised part and break the connection between the two terminals. Your switch should work again.

#4 ·
Yes Teetor is correct. I just ran back to change my post and he was here first. That would make it a half switched receptacle. There is probably a tab on the white side that does not need to be broken. I hope there was no harm done by my first post. HS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.