Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #1

Share |

Outlet controlled by light switch questions.

Hi there. I recently put in new outlets in my house. There was 3 wire cabling but they were all 2 prong outlets, so I swapped them out accordingly. Some outlets are controlled by light switches, which I love since I have no ceiling mounted lighting in almost all of the rooms. Once I swapped them out, I realized the outlets in question were always on.

Of course, I did my homework searching and came across an answer:

Outlet controlled by light switch

Which got me curious... Let's say outlet 1 is controlled by the light switch, but I would rather outlet 3 be controlled by it on the other side of the room. In order to do that, would we be talking pretty crazy re-wiring? I suppose it wouldn't be as simple as breaking the tab on outlet 3, correct?

As always, thanks guys!
roasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #2

You would need to wire receptacle 3 to the switch. If you just break the tab on receptacle 3 you will just have half a plug that doesn't work. It's definitely a wall full of holes job.
fdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

You could add a switch for each individual outlet but it would have to be around the same area above the outlet to do this. It's possible to make a hold the size of a switch box above the outlet fish wire to the outlet wire them up and you have a switched outlet but make sure all this is allowed and you do it to code.

You could also run wire from the wall outlet down to the basement and back up somewhere else to a switch but that takes a lot more work to get it right.
rrolleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #4

It depends on the cabling. Likely if receptacle #3 was never switched you will need some new cabling. If you tell us the cabling in the receptacles we can tell you what is possible.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by roasted View Post
Hi there. I recently put in new outlets in my house. There was 3 wire cabling but they were all 2 prong outlets, so I swapped them out accordingly. Some outlets are controlled by light switches, which I love since I have no ceiling mounted lighting in almost all of the rooms. Once I swapped them out, I realized the outlets in question were always on.

Of course, I did my homework searching and came across an answer:

Outlet controlled by light switch

Which got me curious... Let's say outlet 1 is controlled by the light switch, but I would rather outlet 3 be controlled by it on the other side of the room. In order to do that, would we be talking pretty crazy re-wiring? I suppose it wouldn't be as simple as breaking the tab on outlet 3, correct?

As always, thanks guys!
The key issue is the numbers of conductors in the receptale box if you have a extra one which it will be coloured diffrent useally red in most case that is switched control circuit but for the rest of the receptales in that room you may want to check the rest of it to see you have them in there.

If you do that will be good you can change the switched half duplex to diffrent location.

Merci,
Marc