DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Outlet controlled by light switch

8K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  billvasko 
#1 ·
As part of a remodeling project, I swapped out all of the outlets in our bedroom. One particular outlet is controlled by a light switch. However, when I put in the new outlet and new light switch, the outlet was constantly "on." The switch did not turn it off. I wired everything the same. Then I tried swapping the black and white wires on the same side, but still the same result. Am I missing something???

#2 ·
A switched outlet has to hot feeds to it. One from the switch (usually a red wire) and one the panel or another junction point. Many times this will also be going to the next outlet. To make the outlet be controlled 1/2 by the switch you need to break the copper tab between the two copper colored screws on the hot side of the outlet. (do not break it on the white side) grab this with needle nose pliers twist back and forth and break it off to separate the connection between the two screws.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.