Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8
Share |
Default

Outlet clicks/sparks intermittently?


Hi,

I noticed that in two electrical outlets in our home when something is plugged in (in one of them) or when the switch is thrown to turn on a light (in the other) I occasionally hear a "clicking" sound.

I removed the faceplate to the light switch (there is no place to plug anything into it - it controls two lights and a fan in a bathroom) and turned it off and one quite a few times. I saw it spark once. Small spark. Just a "pop" but it also made the clicking sound.

In the kitchen, very near the sink, we have a plug-in type outlet. When I plug the rotisserie into it, for example, I can see a blue spark, but again, only occassionally, right where one of the prongs goes in. I also can hear that "click."

Is the wiring bad? Do I need an electrician? Is it a coincidence that both of these outlets that spark are near hot water sources, ie. could steam cause rust or corrosion in the wires.

This has me a little nervous.

Thank you,

Mike

mike720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Termite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,520
Default

Outlet clicks/sparks intermittently?


The clicking could be audible electrical arcs. If so, that ain't good. Bigtime fire hazard. Nothing in a receptacle should make a sound. Seeing a tiny spark when plugging or unplugging isn't necessarily such a concern.

Unless you feel comfortable really digging into your home's electrical system it would definitely be wise to have an electrician look it over right away.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nashua, NH, USA
Posts: 6,781
Default

Outlet clicks/sparks intermittently?


Plugging in or unplugging a hair dryer or vacuum cleaner or even a 100 watt incandescent light while it is turned on can result in a visible or audible spark and I have to consider that OK.

But if you jiggle the plug while it stays plugged in (or you don't touch it at all) and you get more clicking or sparking then you have a loose connection in the receptacle and you need to fix it.

Flipping a switch and seeing a little spark inside as the light goes on or off is OK. Flipping a switch and someone else observing a spark at a receptacle at that moment somewhere else is not OK.
__________________
The average homeowner who lost his house in the Oklahoma tornadoes should move for good and not rebuild. Too much complexity watchdogging the contractor. Too much a chance to be defrauded.

Last edited by AllanJ; 08-25-2009 at 07:32 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:49 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Default

Outlet clicks/sparks intermittently?


If the plugs pull out easily or get hot, replace the outlets because the contact spring tension is almost down to zero.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 75
Default

Outlet clicks/sparks intermittently?


If you unplug from a duplex receptacle, with a large load connected, you
will always see a arc flash. It like when welder start to weld. He doesn't
want to touch the metal, he just want the arc. so he draws his rod close
until their an arc flash. Old movie projectors in movies houses used the
same principle.

But if you duplex receptacle get hot, when a load, (coffee maker), is plug
in, have it replace. Cheap receptacle wear out, when they're constantly
being used. Plug in, plug out. Plug in, plug out.

Last thing, cheap duplex receptacle should never be wire in the back, but
the wire should always connect around a connection screw.

Hire an electrician if you don't know how to do this. Replace a duplex receptacle.

Last edited by Ranger31; 08-29-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Ranger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just for fun Andy in ATL Electrical 56 10-20-2009 09:33 AM
What did i do wrong? - Outlet install trips breaker nymex Electrical 22 05-07-2009 02:44 PM
Adding new ceiling light in place of switched outlet XavierG35 Electrical 2 02-13-2008 09:05 PM
Wiring a switch, power from outlet Big Bill Electrical 4 09-15-2007 03:59 PM
European 220V outlet "Schuko" estophile Electrical 6 08-27-2005 08:45 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.