Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2010, 01:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Outlet boxes extend beyond drywall

Hi All -

My contractor had to re-adjust the outlet boxes set by the electrician because he did not allow for the 1/2" drywall. but then the contractor set a couple of them too far out and they extend beyond the drywall. he said the electrician would be able to adjust them. These boxes - or something involved in the boxes - are nailed to the studs. Any thoughts, advice, how-to-fix would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

JPFdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Journeyman Wireman

Rewards Points: 150

If the electrician really didn't account for the depth of drywall, they should be the one to fix the problem. The GC should have called them back to make the adjustments.

If the boxes are sitting "proud" of the wall, they will have to be removed and replaced. Removing the boxes means prying the nails out of the studs and letting them drop into the wall. Or you could cut the nails with a sawzall or hacksaw blade. Then install a remodel box. Use a "Smart Box" which has internal screws that can be driven into the studs. Here is an example:

http://www.licensedelectrician.com/Store/SmartBox.htm

Jupe Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply. The drywall is up and patched and all that. How big of a deal will it be for the electrician to replace those boxes? I[m not even sure how he will be able to get to those nails. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,144

If they are plastic boxes and not too far out 1/8" or so they could be ground down with a circular sander or another device. The GC should never have messed with the electrical work in the first place.

Last edited by brric; 05-16-2010 at 02:16 PM.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:20 PM   #5

ok, thank you.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:18 PM   #6
Journeyman Wireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFdiy View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. The drywall is up and patched and all that. How big of a deal will it be for the electrician to replace those boxes? I[m not even sure how he will be able to get to those nails. Thanks for the help.
Removing nailed on boxes in a finished wall is a fairly common task for a residential electrician. They should be able to do it without damage to the walls. Are we talking a few boxes or a whole house of boxes? Regardless, it is the responsibility of the GC and the electrician to solve the problem.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
Journeyman Wireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
If they are plastic boxes and not too far out 1/8" or so they could be ground down with a circular sander or another device. The GC should never have messed with the electrical work in the first place.
I would be concerned about damage to the drywall with this method. Also, you could damage the screw holes in the box making it hard to install devices.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

You can't move the wall.
4"x8" Masonite trim plates that taper down to zero would be hard to make and look weird.
Grinding the boxes is tricky.

This installation does not show "Due Diligence" or "Duty of Care" which is what people paid to do this kind of stuff are supposed to exhibit.

What a mess.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 05:15 PM   #9
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupe Blue View Post
I would be concerned about damage to the drywall with this method. Also, you could damage the screw holes in the box making it hard to install devices.
Whatever. I've done it dozens of times.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:54 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Removing nailed on boxes in a finished wall is a fairly common task for a residential electrician. They should be able to do it without damage to the walls. Are we talking a few boxes or a whole house of boxes? Regardless, it is the responsibility of the GC and the electrician to solve the problem.
I'm just a DIY homeowner with little practical experience, but I didn't have much trouble removing a single gang (cut the nails with a metal keyhole saw) and then widen the hole in replace it with a remodel double gang.
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:21 PM   #11
Journeyman Wireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
I'm just a DIY homeowner with little practical experience, but I didn't have much trouble removing a single gang (cut the nails with a metal keyhole saw) and then widen the hole in replace it with a remodel double gang.
I hope I didn't imply you needed to be an electrician to replace a box. Just that the electrician who originally roughed in the job should be the one to correct the problem.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:45 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
I hope I didn't imply you needed to be an electrician to replace a box. Just that the electrician who originally roughed in the job should be the one to correct the problem.
I didn't take it that way... actually I'm the one who did a poor job at trying to relay my thoughts/intensions.

What I really ment to do was SUPPORT what you were saying (that it's easy) in response to the question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFdiy View Post
How big of a deal will it be for the electrician to replace those boxes? I'm not even sure how he will be able to get to those nails.
So I should have included that quote in my post as well.
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:09 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 25

I've had someone hit them with the belt sander before.

Sparky8370 is offline   Reply With Quote