Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2006, 02:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Outlet in bathroom for lights....

My wife wants to install a large mirror in the bathroom that has two built-in lights - the problem is that it uses lamp cord and a two prong plug for power and she wants it to be controlled via the wall switch. This would replace the mirror over the sink and the existing light above the mirror.

What is the correct way to proceed here? Can I used the power from the existing (and to be removed) lights to power a GFI outlet behind the mirror? The mirror has a large rim, so it wouldn't be resting directly on the outlet or plug.

Thanks,

Terry

TerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 02:25 PM   #2

Any pictures, model numbers, etc of the mirror/light unit that you could post? Firstly, the 2 prong cord, even if plugged into a GFCI, won't protect against shock if metal parts on the mirror unit become live. This mirror unit can't be meant for a bathroom or it wouldn't just have 2 prongs (likely wouldn't be a plug-in unit at all). The mirror unit would need to have all its metal pieces connected together and then conncted to ground, to be a properly grounded unit...which would then be connected with a 3 wires to a GFCI circuit, if used in a wet area. Tell us more.

sootybuttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:25 PM   #3

It's at Lowes, but I can't find it on their web site. I'll keep searching.

From what I could tell by looking at it, it is made of some type of resin which is finished to look like wood. It is UL listed, and didn't appear to have any exposed metal parts, but not sure if that matters if it is only a 2-prong plug - sounds like it can't be used in a bathroom anyway.

T
Old 10-28-2006, 07:13 PM   #4
World famous jerk.

TerryL, you have the very mistaken impression that electrical equipment with a 2-prong attachment cord can't be used in a bathroom. This appears to stem from your other mistaken impression that equipment with a 2-prong attachment cord will not trip a GFCI on a fault. You are wrong on both counts. You may absolutely use this mirror/light assembly on a GFCI protected switched receptacle in your bathroom, as you originally planned to do. It will function, be code complaint, and safe.
mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:33 PM   #5

Good information (my wife will be happy)!

Last question - can this outlet (a GFI) that drives the lights for the mirror be controlled with a dimmer?

Thanks again,

Terry
Old 10-28-2006, 08:46 PM   #6
World famous jerk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryL View Post
Last question - can this outlet (a GFI) that drives the lights for the mirror be controlled with a dimmer?
As long as the dimmer is on the load side of the GFCI. You cannot dim the line side of a GFCI.

mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote