Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
Green Hat

Share |

Outlet added to middle of circuit......

Hey guys, I was helping a buddy out the other day and he wanted to add an outlet above the fireplace to where he was mounting his flat screen TV.

Easy enough, cut some sheetrock to make the turn and got all of the holes straight through to the location.

The plan was to pigtail everything in the existing box and add a single cable run to the new outlet.

Easy day, then I noticed based on the location of where the hole was cut, since he wanted to take the old box and add a recessed outlet so his media stack could still be located there.

So here is the problem.........With the recessed outlet, it required an additional 2-3 inches on the existing 14/2 wires that were previously. So if we were to finish it today, we would have about 2" of exposed, unsheathed wires behind the box.

I know the right answer would have been to more the box location up a few inches, but based on the location of the cut hole, he doesn't want to move it.

We haven't finished it yet, he seems fine with just putting electrical tape around the unsheathed wires..........however I am not.

There are no cuts, or nicks in the wires, so I don't see an immediate danger.......but wanted to check with you guys first.

Thanks!

Mills314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #2

I don't understand why you would have 2" of exposed, unsheathed wire behind the box...

hawkeye11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills314 View Post
We haven't finished it yet, he seems fine with just putting electrical tape around the unsheathed wires..........however I am not.

There are no cuts, or nicks in the wires, so I don't see an immediate danger.......but wanted to check with you guys first.

Thanks!
No, it is not alright. The sheathing of NM cable has to extend at least 1/4" in the box beyond any clamp. Better off to pull a new cable in for that jump.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #4

are you saying that when the new wires enter the box the wires are not inside the cable sheathing?
Minus08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #5

The cable sheath must go into the box. Move the box or replace the cable. Tape is not acceptable.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
bbo

i would just go back to the last outlet and make the splice there. then you can run a whole new cable to the new box.

I just did that for a fireplace blower motor I installed. plus I'm replacing the drop ceiling in the basement so I removed two junction boxes that would have been buried and moved all the wiriing so it routes through the joists now instead of below.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #7

Replacing the cable is the correct thing, but if you have already finished the dry wall in the corner, could you add a second recessed box in the middle, even if the intent is never to use it - but keep the requirement that the cables sheathing must be in a box, and also splices accessible ?
tribe_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tribe_fan For This Useful Post:
a_lost_shadow (02-18-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
Green Hat

I know they have to extend past 1/4", just didnt think that it warranted pulling new cables. Which will be a total pain. How about just adding a few inches of sheathing and taping it?
Old 02-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #9

You know the answer...
tribe_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribe_fan View Post
You know the answer...

Yeah, it's like you're waiting for us to give you the answer you want to hear. If you want to do a mickey mouse job, feel free to do it, but no one on here is going to endorse that.
hawkeye11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawkeye11 For This Useful Post:
a_lost_shadow (02-18-2012), SD515 (02-18-2012), tribe_fan (02-18-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #11
Green Hat

I am not expecting you to agree with me for the sake of agreeing with me. I am simply asking for some advice in regards to a small problem.

For many of you guys, it may be very easy to run new wires. However I am still somewhat of a novice and feel that running two new wires (one through a corner) and (one up and over a fireplace and back down) is going to be a total pain, especially in a living room that is already occupied.

I guess all in all, I felt that just adding a few inches of sheathing to the 2" of wire and taping it together, or adding some shrink wrap after sliding some sheathing on there so it is actually inside the box may fit the bill.

Bear in mind here, we are only talking about the white sheathing, not the actual wire insulation (white/black).

I guess I kind of compared it to if you were running new wires and for some reason a small portion of the sheathing was knicked...........I was always told that if the wires themselves were not damaged, then you can just tape it.

So I am guessing this is wrong as well?
Old 02-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #12

I would be a little hesitant running a flatscreen TV on 14/2 cable. I would still sleep good at night, but I like to think all outlets should have 12/2 cable.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #13
Green Hat

I agree. However, this is an older house that was obviously done to the minimum. 14/2 everywhere with the exception of bathrooms. We don't really have the luxury of adding a new wiring at this point. But hey, maybe we will since everyone seems to think that the house is going to burn down because there is an inch or two of sheathing missing from behind the box that we pigtailed from, due to the new outlet being recessed and offset.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #14
Green Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye11 View Post
I don't understand why you would have 2" of exposed, unsheathed wire behind the box...
To answer your question. The reason there is unsheathed wire that is STILL insulated with no damage to any of the wires behind the old work box is because he wanted to add a recessed outlet / HDMI pass through from the TV to media stack location. Long story short, between the offset and recessing of the new outlet and HDMI pass through, it set the outlet location a few inches off from the old one, hence the few inches.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #15
Electrician

IMO, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having 14ga wiring for general purpose receptacles in a living room. You really think you can max out a 15 amp circuit with a TV? They’re not that much energy hogs.

Mills, you asked for opinions and received them, some from professionals. Would I leave it like that? No. What you do is your call. Tribe Fan had a good suggestion in post #7.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SD515 For This Useful Post:
jimmy21 (02-19-2012)