Outdoor Wall Lights With Junction Box - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Outdoor wall lights with junction box

I pulled off one of two outdoor wall lights that surround my front door. Turns out they were installed without a junction box. From reading, this leaves me with a few options:
  1. Disconnect the wiring and leave as decoration only (I have access to inside walls).
  2. Mount round boxes (hole saw, screws from inside of box to stud, wiring coming in from back of box). This gets complicated because the siding won't allow the light to mount flush.
  3. Find a wall light that allows the use of an exterior wet-location box. I haven't found any of these.
Thoughts?

Advertisement

rbaevergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbaevergreen View Post
I pulled off one of two outdoor wall lights that surround my front door. Turns out they were installed without a junction box. From reading, this leaves me with a few options:
  1. Disconnect the wiring and leave as decoration only (I have access to inside walls).
  2. Mount round boxes (hole saw, screws from inside of box to stud, wiring coming in from back of box). This gets complicated because the siding won't allow the light to mount flush.
  3. Find a wall light that allows the use of an exterior wet-location box. I haven't found any of these.
Thoughts?
Well for the first option don't bother with that one for a moment I will fill ya in a second.

For second option there are couple way you can do this one is old school methold which you will of course use the hole saw and old work box or use the modern item which the Arington did make a sliding adpator to fit on surafce which you can really elemated rest of the hard work on that.

Here one verison.,

Here the second one

Both should be aviable in most of the big box store otherwise electrique supply centre will have this stock or order one for you.

Just be aware there are few differnt verison of that adpator as I posted above so make sure you get the correct one.

Merci,
Marc

Advertisement

NJMarine (01-05-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 12:19 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 602

What type siding do you have?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 12

I will have to take measurements, but if you search PG4004H at The Home Depot it will give the general idea.
rbaevergreen is offline   Reply With Quote