Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Outdoor in wall address light

We just purchased a home built in the 50's and there is a lighted address in the brick wall that I am trying to get working again.

Here is a picture of the box with the cover removed.

and the cover

Can anyone tell me how it is wired or what type of bulb I would need to get it going again?

mikereno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Based on the type of bulb and the lampholder, I would say it is a low voltage fixture. At least it better be! Do you know where power comes from? Have you checked it for voltage? Don't touch it until you do - it could be hot! You will need to find out where the power comes from and thus identify the voltage before you can figure out what lamp you need. If it's not something that's easily available, you may end up ripping out the internals and installing a new LED lamp in there.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #3

looks like the bulb is burned out and it looks similar to the old screw in flashlight bulbs. like mpoulton said check for voltage before messing with it.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

If I had to guess, I would guess that it's powered from the doorbell circuit which is likely about 16V. Either that or it has its own separate transformer somewhere. Back when this was built 12V was not such a standard choice for low voltage equipment, so it could be anything from 6V to 48V. Or it could be 120V! Safety was less of a thing back then.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #5

The bulb reminds me of the old dial lights that you would see in tube-type radios. They were used to backlight the tuning dial, and often operated on either 6V or 12V AC, depending on whether the tubes had 6V or 12V filaments, since they were powered off the filament winding of the power transformer.
Dave632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #6

I'll check the voltage this weekend. I thought it might be a low voltage line, but we dont have a doorbell or any landscape lighting in front. There is one light under a tree in the backyard that doesnt work and I have no idea what powers it.

Whats an easy way to figure out where the wire gets power from outside of me crawling into attic and trying to trace it. There looks like there is a small transformer in our circuit box off the back of the garage too. Ill snap a picture of that this weekend too

Old houses are so confusing
Old 10-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #7

No power going to the wires as best I can tell. I tried turning on the front light and the front security lights and still nothing.

I'll eventually get up to the attic and see if I can trace the wire.

Any suggestions on what to put in there to light it up reliably?
Old 10-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

I'd rip out the existing socket and find an LED assembly that works. It will use very little power (probably a 1W LED will do fine) and last forever.