Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2013, 08:38 PM   #1

Share |

outdoor stanchions go out after 42 seconds

Hi all - got an interesting situation. I moved into a new house in december. there is a circular driveway with 4 stanchions that have a light fixture on each (1 on each side of the driveway entrances). There is a light switch inside the foyer that turns them on. They worked fine until this last week when we'd flip the switch to turn them on and then after 42 seconds they go off. I can turn them back on a few min later and 42 seconds later they all go back off. Separately, I've got a few guys in the yard cleaning up leaves, sticks, debris. I am thinking they may have hit something? But then again, I'd imagine the light would just not work rather than goes off after 42 seconds. Any ideas?

jp17622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #2

sounds like you could have a photo eye in the system.

usair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #3

Thanks. There are definately several sensors around the property connected to the landscape lighting. Given the lights go out after 42 seconds whether it's night or day, is it reasonable that a bad photo eye would cause the issue I'm having?
Old 05-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #4

Why photo cell and switch? Never mind you mean they are built in the lamp itself?

Last edited by digitalplumber; 05-13-2013 at 09:08 PM.
digitalplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #5

Try turning them on at nigh and put you hand in front of one of the sencers to see if they come on.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp17622 View Post
Thanks. There are definately several sensors around the property connected to the landscape lighting. Given the lights go out after 42 seconds whether it's night or day, is it reasonable that a bad photo eye would cause the issue I'm having?
Perhaps there's a setting for how long they stay on in daylight, for testing purposes? I don't know, I'm reaching here :-)
Old 05-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #7

thats part of the problem. There are 3 switches inside in my hallway that control 3 sets of lights outside. 2 of the sets of lights work just fine as expected. its the 3rd set that is the stanchions that is giving me the problem. I'm not even sure there is a photo eye for these lights. I'm struggling to find it for sure, but there are other eyes across the yard that might linked to it that I just haven't disabled yet. The house is 20 years old and has been neglected (vacant / renters) for the last 10. but one thing is for sure...42 seconds after i turn them on they go off. day or night...42 seconds.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #8

When you switch on power a photo eye will cycle on for about a minute and then shut off. If the eye is not functioning correctly it may not cycle back on. A switch and photo eye is a common set up as most dont want the lights on during daytime but also want the ability to turn them off .
usair is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to usair For This Useful Post:
Philly Master (05-14-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 10:35 PM   #9
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsparksalot View Post
Perhaps there's a setting for how long they stay on in daylight, for testing purposes? I don't know, I'm reaching here :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by usair View Post
When you switch on power a photo eye will cycle on for about a minute and then shut off. If the eye is not functioning correctly it may not cycle back on. A switch and photo eye is a common set up as most dont want the lights on during daytime but also want the ability to turn them off .
I'm pretty sure that Sparks and US have the answer here... or somewhere in between.... I ran into one that had about four switch positions on it and a little wheel for setting some kinda delay.

Actually, it was either broken or I could not figure it out without the instructions.... I gave up and changed it out for something new with instructions

Good luck
Old 05-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #10
" Euro " electrician

Just be carefull if you wired the photo cell backward it will never function properly at all.

How many watts the luminarie you have them and those luminarie is indentscent or CFL or HID or what ??

You will have to find one lumianrie with photo cell and see how it hooked up and with common connection colours useally are :

Black - Line ( supply )
White - Netural ( you will need this for majortoy of the photocells very few are only two wire verison )
Red- Load or outgoing supply.

That something you want to check it out but before you start work on them make sure you turn the breaker off first then look at the photocell connection as I posted above if none of them match let us know.

Merci,
Marc
Old 05-14-2013, 05:19 AM   #11

Some light bulbs have built in electronics,
to turn them off after a set time period.
Are you sure these types of lamps are not in use here ?
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #12

good news and bad news...

bad news...couldnt find the breaker to kill the power to photo sensor (its a Area Lighting Design TL-115...apparently bough out years ago by Tyco Electronics).

good news...i wacked it a few times with my flashlight, twisted and turned it a bit and now all seems to be working fine.

want to send along a thank you to you all for pointing me towards the photo sensor.

thanks again guys.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #13

Nothing like a good whacking !
Sure makes you feel better !
Don't know if it really fixes anything thou.

"Oh whacking day !"

dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote