Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2006, 09:25 PM   #1

Share |

Outdoor Soffit Lighting

I am looking to install some outdoor soffit lighting. I want to install 4" can lights. Do I need special cans, and outdoor wire? Since the roofing above covers it, I thought it would be just like inside wiring. Can someone help? Also, I am not sure where to get a power source for the lights. I just installed a new 20 Amp (12/2) receptacle in the garage, can I tap into that? I think there will be about seven cans, with lower watt bulbs, maybe 30 watts max.each. Just for soft effect lighting. Or should I add a new run?

joedadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 03:40 AM   #2

Outdoor Soffit Lighting

maybe i can help some. i just installed juno brand can lights in my soffit. you use the same wiring and cans outdoor as indoor. i used an old can that matched the circumference of the can lights i was using to mark the holes and cut the soffit using tin snips. not sure if you can tap into your garage or not. instead of using 7 cans with 30 watt bulbs have you considered using 3 or 4 cans with higher watt bulbs on a dimmer switch?

THEBIGPUNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:34 PM   #3
Been around the block

Outdoor Soffit Lighting

You should use standard 4" cans not the ones that are in contact rated. (in contact means in contact with insulation). The ic rated cans are alot bigger and bulkier. They are also alot harder to get in the soffit becaues of the slopes. You can use regular nm-b wire being that it is covered. As for getting power for them you would probably want them on a switch. Is your house single story or two story? You would want to get an amp probe meter to see how many amps are on the circuit you want to tie into so you dont overload it . Depending on what your house looks like as far as your existing lights ( porch lights or even flood lights ) you might be able to tie into that same switch leg if you dont mind them being on together.

good luck
eleservtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:55 PM   #4

Outdoor Soffit Lighting

I usually use a closed trim when putting in recessed outside, but that is me. Just think about all of the bugs that get into recessed outside.
BIGRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:01 PM   #5

Outdoor Soffit Lighting

Thanks for the info. The house is a two story colonial. Built in 1968. The new 20 amp circuit has nothing on it right now, I just ran it for my garage. I would like to add other outlets and lights inside the garage though. I was thinking today, maybe I could use the original line that was run in the garage when they built the house, since I ran a new one. It may have other outlets and lights on it, but because it not running the garage any more it may work. any thougts? I know back in those days, they added other things to the garage wiring. I have he wire in the atic above the garage in a junction box, so it is in a good spot.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:10 PM   #6

Outdoor Soffit Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGRED
I usually use a closed trim when putting in recessed outside, but that is me. Just think about all of the bugs that get into recessed outside.
Thanks have not thought of that part. Are the trims something I can find at Home Depot.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:16 PM   #7
Been around the block

Outdoor Soffit Lighting

Without being there to look at it it should work . How do you plan on switching the lights though? Also any thoughts of connecting the lights together. Are you going to pull down the soffit or can you access it from the attic?:confused:
Old 03-10-2006, 09:25 PM   #8

Outdoor Soffit Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleservtech
Without being there to look at it it should work . How do you plan on switching the lights though? Also any thoughts of connecting the lights together. Are you going to pull down the soffit or can you access it from the attic?:confused:
I was thinking of putting the switch in the garage, I would really like to put the lights in a timer though, but I have not researched that, any ideas?. The lights are running along the front of the garage and house. I am going to do this right before I get the siding redone, so I can make the cuts I need to feed the wires. If I have problems, the siding guys are makeng cuts along the entire soffit for airflow. I believe I can feed the line through because it is open inside the soffit, right?
Thanks
Old 03-10-2006, 09:33 PM   #9
Been around the block

Outdoor Soffit Lighting

You could put the lights on a timer. Instead of a switch you can buy a timer at any off the major home stores in the electrical isle. They install just like a regular switch. As far as the soffit being open ???????????? Maybe most of the time they are but if you have new vinyl going up it shouldnt matter you still should be able to fish it through.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:02 PM   #10
yoz

Outdoor Soffit Lighting

I was also planning on installing light in the soffits. I was thinking about use a photo eye to turn the circuit of light on. Home depot has photo eyes that fit into a junction box. The junction box can be installed under the soffit. Use a remodeling junction box (with ears)

That way it is automatic and the lights turn on a night. At night the photo eye completes the circuit between the red and black wire.
Will this work?
yoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:24 AM   #11

Outdoor Soffit Lighting

I just got a bunch of contact (IC) 6" cans that are also non-ic for less than $6 each.

I need advice on where to install them, like over doors and windows OR in-between?
bkvanbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #12
Master Electrician

Outdoor Soffit Lighting

Please be advised that in a cold climate soffit cans will melt snow and could cause ice dam problems.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #13

Outdoor Soffit Lighting

I did not think of that but with IC capable and a sheet metal roof, it should be fine. Any other advice, such as placement?
Old 04-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #14

Outdoor Soffit Lighting

I installed 12vdc lights in the soffits - designed for exterior installation.

Fourth picture down on this page:
http://www.webjeepers.com/homestead.html
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor Soffit Lighting-patio-walkway-night.jpg  

Last edited by vsheetz; 04-02-2011 at 09:56 PM.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #15

Outdoor Soffit Lighting

couldn't get to link.

But I already have the 120v 6" and they were cheap like me. I also need the watts, the eve is 17' and 12' off the ground.