Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2006, 05:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Outdoor lightfixtures

Hi!

I bought these two light fixtures for in front of the garage, one on each side. The two light fixtures are the same. The light fixtures are open on the top and the bottom. (Wish I knew how to post a picture...) So, anyway, they are copper with designs cut into them. The piece of copper is about a foot in height and bends in a semi circle around the light. Each unit is flat where it attaches to the wall. I guess you could say the fixture is like half a cylinder, open on the top and bottom.

The inspector said they were not for wet weather. The electrician told me he took one off and showed the inspector where it stated it was rated as outdoor fixtures. The fixture states to use a type A light bulb, a normal light bulb. So, now the electrician tells me that if we get even a sprinkle and the lights are on, the bulbs will break. So, I ask him, "What type of bulb am I suppose to get?" He says he doesn't know. I guess he's going to ask at the electrical supply company Monday.

My questions:
1. If the fixture says to use a type A bulb, shouldn't I use a type A bulb?
2. What type of bulb should I use if I don't use a type A bulb? Is there a special bulb for outdoor fixtures?
3. If the fixture states it is an outdoor fixture, can it still be unsafe to use as an ourdoor fixture?

Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 07:21 PM   #2

Outdoor lightfixtures

From here
http://lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=ho...ghtBulbBG.html

It says the the type A bulb can come in a shatter resistant material. Maybe that's what you need?

What brand of light ficture is it?

head_dunce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:38 AM   #3

Outdoor lightfixtures

Thanks for the link to the Lowe's lighting page. I took down some info. and will probably by a compact fluorescent (post) lamp. It states it has a shatterproof cover.

If the fixture asks for an "A" lamp, is it okay to put in a fluorescent? I would think there should be no problem.

I'm not sure of the brand of light fixture I bought. I picked out a whole house load. I'll check the light fixture when I go over to the house later toady after I get off work.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:35 AM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 54

Outdoor lightfixtures

I all but guarantee that if this fixture takes an A lamp, and it is open on top, with the lamp facing up, it is NOT a wet location rated fixture but damp rated. Most fixtures are damp rated.

What is to prevent water from running down the lamp and into the socket?
You should NOT have to use special shatter resistant lamps to keep the lamps from exploding if it rains. That is just silly.

Take the fixture down and look at the sticker. Tell us exactly what it says.
Better yet find a link to it and post it.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:22 PM   #5

Outdoor lightfixtures

The lamp faces down. The top and bottom are open with cut outs all around the half cylindar.

The electrician took the fixture down for the inspector and showed him it was rated for outdoor location.

The inspector told the electician, who told me, (you know how that goes...) that a regular A bulb would bust if the fixture was on and it started to sprinkle.

I guess the light bulb is hot and the rain is cool???

With the lamp facing down, it's okay???
Old 11-21-2006, 04:38 PM   #6
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 54

Outdoor lightfixtures

Use the lamp rated for the fixture. If it is rated to use an A-lamp then use an A-lamp. It will say on the sticker or instructions.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:36 PM   #7

Outdoor lightfixtures

Cool!

That's what the light fixture says...

That's what I'll do!

Hey, thanks for responding to, yet, another one of my threads. It's very nice of you to help!